Shore Fishing in the Caribbean

jimmer

I should have thrown this out to all of you months ago, but figured I would do it now before planning another trip. I always bring some fishing gear to be prepared if I have the opportunity for some shore fishing in the south. Unfortunately I haven't found an opportunity on the last two trips I made. On the last one to St. Martins I didn't see one person fishing from shore anywhere. What I did see was huge Tarpon swimming around, yet everyone I asked said I couldn't fish, that they were nature reserves.

Wondering if people would share best destinations for shore fishing in the Caribbean. Maybe I can plan better for next time.

Thanks

I go whenever we can afford it. My experience has always been. Shore fishing is tough. I've tried with a 12' rod a bunch of times and got nothing. Might be me however I've also been lucky enough to go out inexpensively with local fishermen and had a couple of incredible days. Good luck

I spent a month on Utila island and tried fishing numerous times. Lure colour that seemed to work best was shiny blue and silver. I found that shrimp on bottom was a great way to catch stuff, and you never knew what you were going to get. I liked to have my swim shorts on and some sort of footwear to protect you from Black Sea urchins... And then I'd wade as far out as I could and try to cast to the drop off which worked very well.

I have had success casting rat l traps using a 3 piece travel rod (I invested in a Loomis Escape rod) with a 4000 size shimano spinning reel in the surf using 12 pound mono. mostly have just caught barracuda and small jacks (this was in Antigua). nothing big ever. but have seen huge tarpon as you did.

while I was in the Bahamas (Nassau) I caught bonefish off the beach using bucktail jigs bouncing along the bottom: bonefish are my favorite fish. fight amazing and so pretty.

bonefish.jpg

Edited by 12 Volt Man