Basement apt entrance. NF

glen

I have a basement apartment in my house but I don't have an outside entry. I do have a spot that a door could be put in the basement wall. A window is there now. Basement floor to ground level (grass) is about 5'. The steps would run along one wall and into the other wall. Like the inside of a L shape. Door on the small leg of the L.

I would enclose the steps with roof and a door at the top.

Is this a good idea?

Of course you need footings and the mew structure needs to be underpinned to the basement foundation. Water does not always infiltrate from the roof down. Ground water moves vertically and horizontally, changes from gas to liquid to solid too.

Edited by Old Ironmaker

Not just those reasons, im in construction and doing a window well exit/ window in downtown TO this coming week. Tgere are a couple of other variables to consider. One is drainaage indeed changes even that a neighhbour has made can result in water build up that could come in. The other most commonly overlooked is the newly lowered frost line in that area can cause drains and water lines to freeze if below. ive seen concrete heave as well.... Not hard to do but not entirely clear cut.

Glen it isn't huge job depending on what one considers huge. To my kid brother hanging a picture requires borrowed tools and help. It just needs to be done right the first time or you will be doing it right all over again. Don't wait for a building inspector to tell you it's wrong and watch him walk away saying "Call me when it's right".

Very nice of Smallie to offer detailed assistance.