CPAP battery? NF

Oggie

I know they make batteries for CPAP use exclusively but they're $300. I wondered if anyone has found an off-the-shelf product like the Reactor Power Pack Home Hardware is advertising that will do the job? The machine is a 12V unit so there must be something that will do the trick.

Any ideas? I need it at the cottage (which has no power) and I'm hoping to either charge it in my car or with a solar unit.

If it's DC capable you can use any 12V battery. A 12V deep cycle marine battery will work. I don't know much about the CPAPs, but I read that having the humidifier on increases the current draw substantially. This is a common problem, you can easily search the net for more info on what people have done.

How much time do you spend At the cottage? I have a similar problem, CPAP with no power athe cottage. I can tell you with certainty that your options are limited. In my situation, my wife and I both have a CPAP unit, and I had to invest in approx. $1,000 ($2,500 if you count the generator) to solve my problem. A 25 to 30 watt solar panel is completely inadequate. I have 2 Trojan 6V deep cycle batteries costing $150 each and 2 solar panels totalling 300 watts (150 watts each) and even with this setup I will still need to run the generator for 6 or more hours if I go more than 3 days with no sun. Yes, turning off the humidifier will save on the draw which is what we do.

Having an electric start outboard motor will allow you to use the same battery for your CPAP.

I bought a converter for around $85 U.S. It's the correct converter and is

approved for my unit by the manufacturer.

If you're interested, PM me your email address and I'll forward information for

determining which converter works for your machine.

I've used it.

How much time do you spend At the cottage? I have a similar problem, CPAP with no power athe cottage. I can tell you with certainty that your options are limited. In my situation, my wife and I both have a CPAP unit, and I had to invest in approx. $1,000 ($2,500 if you count the generator) to solve my problem. A 25 to 30 watt solar panel is completely inadequate. I have 2 Trojan 6V deep cycle batteries costing $150 each and 2 solar panels totalling 300 watts (150 watts each) and even with this setup I will still need to run the generator for 6 or more hours if I go more than 3 days with no sun. Yes, turning off the humidifier will save on the draw which is what we do.

I've gone to the cottage for a 10 day period without the CPAP and after about 4-5 days I'm dragging my ass around pretty tired. My wife puts up with my snoring because she loves the cottage. I'm in Algonquin so a generator would need to be used on the sly.

I too use one of these. I have two 750 am batteries and use a 2000 watt inverter. If lucky, will get 2 nights when using the humidifier. Then run the genny to charge the batteries back up.

When colder or off season I run the genny all night.

If you ask your doc he will tell you it is not good to use these dry. Not good for your sinus.

At Canadian Tire once in a while they sell small whisper generators, 500, 750, 1000 watt. I am thinking to get one so I can run it every night and not disturb the neighbors at our trailer park.

At Walmart 1000 Maximum Watts Pure Sine Wave Ultra-Silent 1000 Maximum Watts 800 Running Watts Inverter technology pure sine wave Safe for use on electronic equipment Up to 8.5 hours of run time at 50% load Ideal for powering: -household items at Walmart now.

$188.00

Good luck.

Edited by davew3