Car go smash NF

Rod Caster

Like Yogi Berra said about insurance " when ya got it ya don't need, and when ya need it ya don't got it.". Why people don't use it I have no idea, we pay 10's of thousands over the years and won't up the 500 deductible "in case" the premiums go up 5%.

Rates do not increase for comp claims in Ontario, I am told it's the law up to X number of claims according to my agent that I ran into yesterday in town and he has never heard of $1000.00 deductible unless commercial or a mess of claims. I would check RC.

My deductible is 500 on each. A body shop around southern Ontario won't lift the bay door for less than 500 bucks now. I charge 300 for a detail and wax on an average size vehicle. $500.00 for a 1/2 ton pickup. It takes a good 12 hours of labour.

I'm told 4.5 litres of a good quality automotive paint goes for $300.00 or more

Edited by Old Ironmaker

I don't pay for comp coverage so that's out of the question anyway. And yes, if you make a claim it will cost you if/when you switch companies. If you stay with the same company you may not see the increase, until they change their policies. I got bitten on a small house claim years ago so I'm done dealing with them. I insure the minimum and assume my own risks, I don't need their safety net unless I have a liability or fire claim or any other catastrophic claim.

I opened the car up today and I might be able to et away with around 1500 in repairs... Not 100% sure yet, but I may have lucked out. With a 1000 deductible I would be better off just going at it myself anyway.

Either way, I'm in this position now, so I'm going along for the ride no matter what

I hear you RC and respect your decision, don't agree though at all, no way. What you said before isn't what you are saying now. I would just kick myself and never sleep if someone decided to steal any of my vehicles or our shack burned down and not have insurance. I bet I have 5 grand in tackle alone, another 5 in tools I don't use anymore. My comp premium for homeowners is 700 bucks including liability for the property, 100 for the vehicles. That would be a bad business decision for anyone. We have around 60K in vehicles here and a few hundred K of dwelling and contents. Insuring them for comp is a no brainer. I don't get your way of thinking. I'll leave it at that.

For the damage I see 1500 is a deal. My wifes front bumper, the ground effects and 1 headlight was 3 grand. No metal damage.

Edited by Old Ironmaker

Buddy @ work backed into me in early Dec.

His rear bumper hit the corner of my front bumper while he was parking.

Damage to my vehicle: $2,500

Damage to his vehicle: $2,400

quite a few years ago one of our politicians backed into my last vehicle.

Barely touched it and it was over $1,000 to repair.

I don't have 60K in vehicles, more like 6K, (nor anywhere near a few 100K in house contents!!) so my risk is much smaller than yours. I'll do the car repair work myself, which is why it'll cost closer to 1,500. Using a body shop, my car would barely be worth the cost of repairs. My car will probably look like a golf ball in the end, maybe with several different colors, but I really don't care.

My house, and contents, are covered just fine. I have a high deductible which means I avoid small claims. I'll deal with the small stuff myself. Big stuff is covered just fine...plus, I have additional coverage on the liability side because I own a large acreage and that comes with its own set of liabilities.

Listen, insurance companies win in the end no matter what, , if you want big expensive things and like having a safety net without really being responsible for your own stuff or actions, then go ahead and insure them to the fullest and live in peace with your toys. I'll be responsible for my own actions (obviously to limit, when it comes to damaging other people property or health) and when things happen to me, I'll learn my lessons and move on.

I never changed my story, I just never explicitly said I don't have comprehensive on my car. The reason I don't, is because I have no intention of ever making a claim unless it's a liability claim. If someone steals my golf ball car, then so be it.

$300 for a wash and wax??? You could have done it for less than 30 at home. Was that a business decision?

With vehicles nowadays the repairs are rediculous.

$3000 to fix my plastic front end on my car 12 years ago.

Im with ya chad if you can fix it yourself thats awesome.

Insurance is expensive up here. $1000 deductable for our vehicles

You can go with $500 but if its a right off your screwed. $1000 gets you a brand new ride so its worth it for us.

And $300 for a wax and detail is completely reasonable IMO. Id gladly pay that if OI was in my area

I've only detailed/waxed a vehicle once, and it was because it was a tax write off. If your vehicle is leased or still on financing, or is a collector-type vehicle then I can see why a good wash/wax is worth it.

My 3x hit and run victim, 3rd rear bumper, 2nd front bumper, umbrella flew into the door, tree on the hood, gravel road commute, wife backed into dad's garage car, doesn't get the highlife treatment. haha.

You misread what I said Chad a few 100 K including the home. I hear what you are saying and like I said respect your decision. I also misread what you said, when you said a $1000.00 for comp I assumed that's what you pay. Believe me my only toy is my boat. The others are the truck and car. I have replacement cost and pay big for them as they are both fairly new. The premiums for replacement weren't much more than base coverage. That only is good for another year I think. I have been where you are when I did my own repairs too and did what I had to do. That car of yours wouldn't qualify as a hoopdee to me, nice car to me. You should see some of the beaters I have driven, not so long ago, some had rear windows. I wasn't born this old and responsible. I was making 500 a month once and rent was 200 in 73'.

Fair enough, ive thought out my decisions, as I'm sure you have as well. Each their own.

It's a nice car, but that poor thing must have a target on its back bumper. Previous claims screwed me over (hit and run claims are considered 100% at fault), so now that's it's paid off my only goal is to get a few years of very cheap operation.

The cars I do detail are usually high end stuff. The same customers for years. I have been doing the same Porsche 911 since new in 86. My favorite is a friends 68 Rolls he takes out twice a year, maybe. That takes 2 full days. I'm talking Q Tips on the chrome and small paint brushes on the dash, remove the seats etc. I'm basically working for peanuts on a few.