Fish Hut

DanD

In the process of completing my snowmobile trailer/fish hut and I'm wondering what would be be a good colour to paint it? The walls will be made from plastic sheets or plywood; depending on weight & cost

Looking for a colour that is easily spotted, while on the ice; but not so bold/bright, to look like a clowns trailer, going down the HWY.

I'll post pictures when it is closer to completion and I have the RV furnace and lighting installed.

This is what I started with and used last winter to haul equipment to and out onto the lake. The snowmobile pulled it easily, with all our crap for a day out on the ice and 3 guy riding on the trailer/sled.

Trailer frame.jpg

Sled on Trailer 001.jpg

image6.jpeg

I know the hut will be a bit high off the ice (18"); but if it works well enough for this winter. I plan on changing the suspension; so that I can lay the frame right down on the ice; one step at a time.

Dan.

Thanks for the reply and yea a dark colour does make sense, as it will be out in very white surroundings during the day. I was thinking of some form of florescent colour and I didn't really like the idea.

Reflective tape is cheap and it would make it stand out at night; on the road or the ice.

Thanks for the advice.

The way the weather has been the last few years, I might be travelling to find safe ice. That's why I wanted to build this type of trailer/hut.

I like fishing outside on the ice; but when I want to get warm, it has to happen fast and in a dry place; that's why the 25,000. BTU RV furnace. It'll also allow us to stay out over night; if we chose too; everything runs on 12 volt DC and propane.

A 12 volt DC wind generator, is in the works; built from a 120 volt AC ceiling fan motor. Like I said one step at a time and I'm having fun building this stuff.

Dan.

Sounds like an awesome rig!

Always lots of fun small engineering challenges when slapping a hut together.

Ive got some plans I'm working on. But I never thought about a wind generator. That's a great idea. Gunna have to be a hearty fan. Maybe an outdoor rated one eh?

Edited by N.A.W

Looks like an awesome idea. I love manufacturing my own huts. I have built several over the years. It's nice to see someone else's ideas. I've seen an idea whereby the builder had an axle that would pivot to an upright position, which would allow the trailer frame sit right on the ice. Sorry I don't remember where??

But I never thought about a wind generator. That's a great idea. Gunna have to be a hearty fan. Maybe an outdoor rated one eh?

There's more wind out there in the winter than sun; that's why I don't want to go solar.

From the research I've done these everyday residential ceiling fans are holding up well. They're a brush-less motor with sealed roller bearings. After rewiring and adding permanent magnets where the stater used to be, there's not much else to worry about in there. You'd bring the AC voltage inside out of the weather; where you'd run that voltage through a bridge rectifier (scavenged from an automotive alternator), turning the voltage into DC and then through an old style non electronic automotive voltage regulator. The regulator has two jobs, one (like its name) regulates the voltage to approx 14.5 and its also a cut off switch that stops the generator from motoring, when the wind stops spinning the blades.

I've seen an idea whereby the builder had an axle that would pivot to an upright position, which would allow the trailer frame sit right on the ice. Sorry I don't remember where??

There are places in the States that sell kits to do this; but looking at the pictures of the different designs, I know I can build my own.

Dan.

Edited by DanD

Hi Dan. You eluded to the wind during the winter on the ice. With your hut being approx. 18 inches off the ice (at least for now), you may want to consider making your floor holes the same diameter as a five gallon pail. You can then remove the bottom of the pail and slide it down from your hut as a sleeve to the ice surface. Works very well at blocking the wind and prevent hole blowing in or freezing.

Good luck with your build, looks great.

PS I agree with black paint for the hut to absorb sun heat and for visibility on the lake. Reflective tape will help the snowmobilers for sure.

Cheers

Craig