This is for Lew

ketchenany

Looks like I found this post too late.

Was it the sinking of my old ship Annapolis ??

The Mackenzie and the Columbia :( interesting Lew, showed how they were prepared and the final salute onboad with former captains, crew and "bubbly", on the Columbia they also included ashes of a former sailor who posed at 60.

They also revisited 6 months later to see what it was covered with.

The program was actually about restoring habitat for sea life and recycling of ships instead of melting them down.

All within diving range for divers willing to go down and see them. Love nature programs :)

I've seen the Columbia sinking before but would have like to see it again. My brother served aboard Columbia back in '65, the same time I was aboard Annapolis.

They've sunk a few of them now as well as an old airliner.

This is a shot of Annapolis just as she was going down beneath the waves earlier this year.

hmcs-annapolis-sinking.jpg

And this is a shot of her back in her better days when I served aboard her.

C4HMCSAnnapolis28ii29d.jpg

Edited by lew

Did they ask if you wanted anything from the ship?

No, it was decomissioned many moons ago and the Artificial Reef Society in BC has been fighting in court for years to get permission to sink her.

It's been 50 years since I served on Annapolis and I'm sure my name was forgotten a long time ago. I don't know if any former crew members were offered anything but I sure wasn't.

Edited by lew

Lew NOT a good way to treat our servicemen. We all paid for that ship (my parents anyway back then), you paid more that us being out there for us. A token of appreciation would have been nice hanging on you wall or maybe a deck gun on the porch :)

I worked for a firm back in 1976, for 15 years until they sold because of the death of the owner and to this day on Dec 2 I still get a Christmas card from his wife (who keeps me up-to-date on the family) . . .

Thank the lord I see my work in magazines and newspapers and can tear them out or have samples.

BUT you do have some great pictures! To pass them on.

Before my mother passed away I came up with an idea of finding a picture of the ship we sailed on to come to Canada, No pictures, just paintings issued as postcards on ship that were mailed back when we landed in Quebec City (1960) and the history of the ship. All framed and dated. For the grandkids and grandkids to see. She was thrilled to see it. Then I went back as I was doing a Family tree and actually found that my grandfather lived in Toronto in 1903 by the papers he left (receipt from a shipping company) walked on Elm Street to send a few dollars (1000 Lira) to his family, my after had save it) my father had told me he was in America as the they called it in Europe) back-braking work only back then) and then you had to leave! Probably contract entry! Who knows I tried the Gov records but nothing on him!

He came through Illis Island in NY and dispatched to Canada, ( NON IMMIGRANT Stamped on his landing papers! Get outI) I would guess by train back then. I pulled the manifest and printed them out, they say he was in good health and carried $30, that was a joke, it was probaly 30 cents (Lira) back then.

So glad to have traced him I have no pictures, he died when my father was 7 and my father followed him and here we are! Giving it back.