Dec 28(ish) Ice Fishing Trip

NAW

So me and my girlfriend have a few days off together between Christmas and New years, with NO KIDS!!

Seeing as I have been able to fully addict my girlfriend to ice fishing, she suggested that we find a place to go ice fishing for a few days.

Now obviously the weather is not being very nice, and things are going to be a little in-predictable. But I was wondering if anyone has suggestions for where we can go with in a 3 hour drive of Barrie, that "Should" have ice late December. I assume Nippissing is completely out of the question, and that's the only place I could thing of..

We have a $500 budget for accommodations for 2 or 3 nights.

Not sure what seasons open at what times up north.

We would like to be on the water, either a lodge or (pipe dream) a sleeper hut.

I was thinking Temagami or Timisikaming area. If anyone is up that way.. Are the lakes even starting to lock up??

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Edited by N.A.W

Small lakes locked up last week with a couple cold nights, but looking at the forecast there won't be safe for another 2 weeks I bet. Brutal December so far.

BUT, there will definitely be safe ice by then around here. You could look into renting a hut on Nosbonsing, it usually fishes well early season. I don't imagine a rental being very pricey there. It's a shallow lake that gets good ice early. Also, look into renting an ice bungalow on Rabbit Lake thru Gramps bait and tackle on hwy 11. Walleye and apparently good whitefish fishing.

Saw Ice fishing trip.

Saw thread was started by Nick.

Started typing 'I'm in!!!!' Before reading the rest of the forum.

I'm sure the other guys can help on this one. I have no clue. Best of luck getting her hooked.

Don't worry Jer, that post will come soon!

Small lakes locked up last week with a couple cold nights, but looking at the forecast there won't be safe for another 2 weeks I bet. Brutal December so far.

BUT, there will definitely be safe ice by then around here. You could look into renting a hut on Nosbonsing, it usually fishes well early season. I don't imagine a rental being very pricey there. It's a shallow lake that gets good ice early. Also, look into renting an ice bungalow on Rabbit Lake thru Gramps bait and tackle on hwy 11. Walleye and apparently good whitefish fishing.

I will definitely look in to both those places.

Do you know off hand when the Walters open on Nosbonsing?

I certainly know I won't be driving to the dock on New Years Eve this year!!

Maybe in your boat eh!

Neighbour is still doing that as far as I know.

Messed up winter coming considering I've driving out to their island in my TRUCK and picked them up before on Dec the 15th. Two winters ago Leah and I drove out on New Years Eve WITH the enclosed trailer behind on 11+ inches of ice and parked at our dock.