Tough day in Orangeville

jediangler

Drove the 85km to Orangeville to hook up with my brother and his wife (Joonmoon & Goog) for some panfish action. We have always done very well in both sizes and numbers in Island lake over the last few years. Today was going to be the toughest day yet. To start with the water level is down 2ft from usual and there is loads of algae. The lack of any breeze meant fish were tight to cover and not aggressive at all. Now I know this is starting to sound like a bunch of excuses, but I haven't had to work so hard for so little action this season. I arrived and launched the kayak by 7:30am. Joonmoon & Goog were an hour behind me and got the cooler w/seats wet at 8:30am.

096796.jpg

I managed to catch two nice perch in the first hour, but had my heart set on crappie, so I let them go. We were using small jigs with grubs in various colours. After 2 hrs in the main lake body, we decided to go north east past the islands to the deepest area of the lake. There was an old-timer anchored nearby with at least 9 good crappie and 2 pike on a stringer. Joonmoon landed 2 keeper sized crappie (9"-11") right on the bottom after Goog figured out the pattern. I was worn out from paddling the hour to get back there, and the heat was sapping my energy. I wished them luck and started the long paddle back. Picked up 4 more good perch before noon to give me six for the day.

126694.jpg

Joonmoon kept his 2 for the pan but Goog had no luck today. The highlight of the day for me was when a 5yr old boy fishing with a SpongeBob rod caught a 14" largemouth on a worm from shore. Proud Pappa held the fish for a photo with the boy and his little sister smiling from ear to ear as Mom took the pic. He put the fish right back and the kids stood there waving at the bass as he took off into the weeds.

Well as Jedi said it was the toughest I've ever had to work for a few fish. They just weren't very active. The oldtimer with the stringer was using minnows and he did the best out of anyone there that I saw.

Here's a few shots of the day.

100_1535.jpg

100_1539.jpg

I've yet to get a crappie out of Island so I know your pain but I love the story of the kid and the bass. One of my favourite things about island lake is watching the kids catching panfish from shore or from a boat with the parents, they always seem to have such a great time.

was up there this weekend with my boys not much luck myself. fishing for pike...no luck. my eldest was able to hook into a nice size rock bass though.

caught me some perch on xraps and a nice bass. all and all i would say was a good day out with the boys.

spoke to a coupe of others at the dock and they were not having much luck either...

Edited by sunfish