Just on News? Dead Carp at Port Perry

mikeymikey

Hi Photoz, try not to take it personally as my dislike for Carp long pre-dates 'meeting' you and is based on the fact that its an invasive pest.

If the MNR is working on getting rid of them (carp), I am all for it, no offense to anyone thats personally against it.

My jokes are aimed at carp...so lets quietly put away the pitchforks and torches and smile, you'll live longer (ask any cardiologist).

Works been busy...I only have time for the odd sarcastic remark on my traditional favorites, like carp.

Maybe thier turning into salmon!!

Didn't realize what you really meant...man I am slow.

Terry, from what/how I read all the replies, I don't think Photoz's post was directed at you.

Maybe he is a bit upset about you because the flashing image in your signature doesn't include carp. Just kidding, he probably has mistaken that bluegill as a fat carp LOL.

Take it easy, I didn't, but I do now.

Terry . . . . . I don't think I would refer to somebody with over 5000 posts a lurker . . . . . ? And I highly doubt you've been chasing ambulances much lately either! As far as rumours go . . . . the carpicide one has about as much credibility as the one I heard about the Ministry 'secretly' releasing a disease that only infect pike, in the Kawarthas, starting at Canal Lake, because they were decimating the muskie population. Strangely enough, this guy actually believed this, and he's been fishing for years . . . . next thing we know they'll be poisoning the entire Pefferlaw River to keep the gobies out . . . . . . naw w w w w . . . . . they would NEVER be THAT stupid! But . . . . I happen to value the carp as a good, big, strong fighting fish, and even if I see others (legally) pursuing OTHER also introduced species that I don't like too much, if I can't say something constructive about it, I say NOODNIK? Then I don't pi$$ other anglers off . . . . to each their own.

Can someone define "invasive species", and is carp is one of them? and why MNR lists them in its publication informing people where they can be caught, has the official record, and calls them an "alternate species".

For the record, carp was introduced to North American around 100 years ago by U.S. goverment, can't remember exactly but Canada might have done the same. Just like some salmon/trout species in the great lake. They were invited here.

Proves that some people really just don't know them enough to like them (or dislike them).

Last weekend while i was fishing for pike i accidentally snagged a carp and you guys are right they fight and take drag out but the carp population is getting really high and is interfering with spawning fish "pike,bass" what i am getting at is this die off can be a good thing to regulate the population of carp and help the growth and population of other species.

Just for the record, it would not be the first time the MNR has tried out a chemical on a certain fish, they have done it with gobies, also I know of a lake in the Ottawa valley that it was used on both lake trout and walleye. Not saying this is the case here, but lots of folks believe the numbers of carp are getting high and do have an effect on other types of fish, but we all know the government wouldnt do this kind of thing and not tell the public. Now how do you spell ROSWELL

just a side note guys were saying the bigger walleyes they were catching last weekend really did look in bad shape, beat up really bad sores and marks all over them, so lets hope its not effecting the walleyes as well, the smaller eyes looked to be in really good shape

Edited by fliptheslop

An MNR biologist informed me back in March that they were monitoring a new marine virus that effects carp. This after I offered a small carp for VHS testing. I was told it wasn't VHS but the symtoms appeared simular like the bulging eyes and bleeding from the gills or scales. They found this in Hammy Harbour.

Yes carp are an invasive. They were not brought directly to the wild but raised in farms as food. Flooding allowed them to escape as well as poor maintanance, disconcern and release after bussiness failures. The asian carp followed pretty much the same path and seeing as us stupid humans don't learn from our mistakes, the great lakes are due for another carp invasion. One was already found in Lake Michigan but they are hoping it didn't have a mate handy.

BTW the bloody red shrimp Great Lakes Invasive number 184 has been found in Lake Erie.

I enjoy catching carp but they sure have altered the native ecosystems for the worse. If they could find a poison that targets only non native carp then fine we could use another program like the lampray one. It sounds like a ridiculous rumour as the MNR would have to notify the public if applying any poisons. If they did I would expect it to not effect the native species like the small and big mouth buffalo.