how to get 05 sieera truck fan to activate

mr blizzard

To many variables to give you any real direction; would need a proper scan tool connected to read sensor live data and that's just to begin diagnosing this issue. That being said does the transmission (assuming its an automatic) still shift normally when the speedo is inop? If not it could and I mean could be the vehicle speed sensor on the trans/transfer case?

As for the ABS, yea it's likely one of wheel speed sensors; but which one? Again a scan tool would be needed to monitor each wheel watching if one of the sensors are dropping out?

Now don't go out and buy one of those cheap code readers; thinking it's a scan tool. A code reader is just that it only reads emission related codes. Most cannot read ABS, body computer or anything other then powertrain "P" codes.

Places like crappy tire sell them in the hope you'll plug it in, see a code for whatever and then run in and buy the sensor that the code is related too.

Sorry for your luck, you bought it, you plugged it in; its now yours forever; no return on electronic parts once plugged in.

Dan.

Lots of confusion with Jeeps... took me days of wasted reading to determine that on this vintage of Jeep libertys the speedo is fed off the rear diff sensor or at least was on the 2005 I was working on with no ABS. Many jeep forums have guys going in circles swapping out transfer case senders only to find out their rear axle sender harness was grounded out against the e brake cable. Owner had no speedo at all when I told her I'd look at it and it's still working 5 months later is all I know. First replacing the sender and repairing some wiring (which made it intermittent) and then fixing the quick plug contact for a permanent fix.

You're 100% right on this one Wayne; the rear wheel speed sensor is the the signal for the speedo; after the signal is sent to the body control module. From there the signal is converted from analog to digital and sent to all of the devices that need to know vehicle road speed.

It took a bunch of reading in the service manual and checking wiring diagrams but I do concede. LOL

Rick there is a self test that you can try; that will or should prove out the instrument and whether the speedo issue is in the cluster or an input to the cluster.

Ignition off, press and hold the trip odometer button. Turn the ignition on but do not start the engine. Release the trip odometer. This will put the cluster into a self test; meaning it will sweep all the gauges, turn on and off different cluster functions. Once done all you need to do is shut the ignition off and that will cancel the self test.

What you're going to be watching for is whether the speedo can sweep its full travel; the speedo needle will stop during the sweep at calibrated check points but it should go through the full scale.

Dan.