LOTW lodge recommendations

bigcreekdad

Have fished the French for years for muskie, and will hit it 3 times before season ends. Just returned from first trip, and was talking to some other guys who also fish the French every year, and we all agreed that we will always fish the French, but that we should hit LOTW one time at least. Just starting to do some research and thought that this was the best place to start. We're not out to find the cheapest place, as we like to eat and sleep well when not on the water, and also have our own boats. Any recs would be appreciated.

Don't know this place, or any place on LOTW's personally, but if I remember correctly, MuskiesnLakers, a member here:

http://www.ofncommunity.com/forums/index.php?showuser=706

now owns:

http://www.canadafishingtrips.com/melinesindex.html

His operation is also located on Sabaskong Bay at Nestor Falls. Send him a pm, our e-mail his business. He bought it 2 yrs. ago I believe, and at the time offered an OFC discount. Don't know if it is still offered.

I think his name is Mike, and he guided there for a number of years before buying it with a couple of his buds.

Used to be in chat with him often, but maybe only once or twice since he bought the place.

OK, just heard from another long time member here via pm, that muskiesnlakers is not affiliated with this place any more. Not that it would not be a good place to go, don't know that specifically.

Do a google search for Lake of the Woods Lodges, send them some e-mails, and see what transpires.

Edited by tjsa

I guess that depending on the type of fish you want to get, this will help you determine the location you should stay at. LOTW is so big with so many lodges that certain types of fish are more prevelant in some areas. for example I have seen huge lakers caught in the sioux=narrows area, huge muskies in the nestor falls area and good walleyes caught near Kenora.

Googel : sunset country, this should give you the web site for the areas around lake of the woods and the camps located on them.

Personally, I would stay in Sioux Narrows or Nestor Falls. I have guided in both areas and I like the waters there but I also lived in Kenora and used to fish out of there too. the problem with Kenora is there are so many boaters (from Winnipeg) on the weekend that it is hard to find a quiet location on the lake.

another word of advice, get a guide. With 60,000 + islands it is easy to pass by so many good fishing spots and get lost in the process.