MotorGuide Xi5 versus Minn Kota iPilot

John Bacon

Good deal I used a aluminum plate on mine and it is rock sold with no bad pressure on the fiberglass. I am sure you will love the new motor.

Art

Thanks, it has been a while but was it you that mentioned using a twist lock plug for an electric motor?

I want to replace the plug that was prewired on the boat because it seems cheap and low quality, and because they used 12 gauge wire for a circuit that will draw around 55 amps. I want to replace it with a quality connector using 6 or 8 gauge wire to the battery.

Is this type of connector something that I would need to purchase at a specialty store? Or, is it something that I can pick up from a hardward store such as Home Depot or Princess Auto?

p.s. Does your motor have a connector on a short wire near the lever that you need to raise and lower the motor. Do you know what this is for? There is a second connector on a longer wire that is designed for a Lowrance graph.

Thanks for your help so far.

I ordered my twistlock male and female from cabelias years ago I am sure they still have them. The small wire is to put an adapter that allows the unit to talk to your lowrance system that then can control it from a touchscreen it is called lowrance smart steer

Art

Marinco makes the a good connecter. They also manufacture the minnkota branded ones. I went with the Minnkota branded one because it has a smaller diameter, It was the MKR-18. If you go with 6 gauge, you will need the adapter as well (Adapter is MKR-16A).

Depending on how long your run is, you will be able to get away with 8 gauge wire no problems. Just make sure to put in an inline fuse or breaker in whatever size your TM calls for. I used the Minnkota breaker as well.

I used 6 gauge wire from my 29 series battery then a 60amp minn Kota breaker then to my plug it's not a marine co as I had that and the adapter broke 2 times so now I have a proper 6 guage plug and works fine no issues mine is 12 volt as well 55lb thrust .... Gonna switch to cable drive for next year tho ... Cheers

Thanks for the all of your input. I was able to get it out on the water yesterday.

It did a great job of keeping the boat straight while I trolled with the kicker. This is the main reason I wanted the Xi5/iPilot versus a cable drive. I still have a lot of other features to test such as the anchor lock and memorizing routes, etc.

Edited by JohnBacon