New Boat . Need Help/

jameshandz

looking at buying a bigger boat cuz my 12 ft just isnt doing it for me anymore.

I'm looking at a 15 ft fiberglass boat with a 25 hp on it . Now when i got my 12 footer with a 7.5 hp engine all i needed was my boating and fishing license, safety gear and was good to go . Now if i buy this one what is needed? do i have to register it ? do i need to insure it ? IT WILL NOT BE TRAILERED AS IT WILL SIT AT MY DOCK AT MY TRAILER THEN STORED ON THE PROPERTY IN THE WATER.

Apparently they guy im buying it off of may have or may not have the onwership . DO i need one ?

Any help would be great .

May just hold on to the 12 footer till next summer if its a big hassle to get everything in order.

thanks !

Many "old school" boat owners wouldn't even know where to find their vessel licence, but be aware it's now mandatory to be on board the vessel. Photocopy is just fine (no different than a vehicle ownership), in a zip lock bag for protection. Failure to show same when asked is I believe at $260 fine. I know it's a higher than no life jacket and just below no boaters card on the fine schedule.
The boat registration is free and must be sent to NB to be done, but will be a lot easier if he can find his old one so you can have a copy of it on hand in the boat until your new one comes back.

https://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/marinesafety/debs-obs-paperwork-paperwork_boat_licence-1898.htm

Just click on the highlighted PCELS (Pleasure Craft Electronic Licensing System) spot and it will allow you to do the transfer on line. You'll need pictures of some ID and the bill of sale. Need the old owners name and the current Boat numbers.

Edited by irishfield

We just got all the paper work for a boat we are flipping that the owner had lost over the years. It was a matter of getting a few photos of the boat, licence # on the bow, include the serial number on the hull and inboard on the application and then have it all Notarized by a Notary Public. Not difficult.

You will have to have all the paperwork, licence and registration plus the safety equipment for a boat that size. It's not much more than for a 12 footer and a 9.9. Not a big deal. As far as insurance it is not mandatory but a smart person will at least get liability coverage in the case of an accident where personal injuries and or property damaged is involved. Accidents happen. You would never drive on a roadway without liability insurance. Talk to your broker, some Homeowners policies may cover some loss for a boat. Enjoy the new ride.

Edited by Old Ironmaker

My current boat was bought without registration. Guy had bought it from a friend and never transferred it into his own name. All I had to do was send the bill of sale he gave me and the application to NB and I had no problem.

Before sending, I took copies of the bill of sale and the application and kept that in the boat to prove that I had applied (didnt need it though)