Love the Upper Niagara

Had another eventful outing on the Upper today. I was out with my son and we were working a weed line about 20 ft off the shoreline. I was working a white spinnerbait up tight to shore and ripping it out over the weeds. Right at the weedline, I'd let it flutter at the edge, trying to entice a bass or musky to smash it. My son was throwing a big tandem blade for musky...the Upper has a very health musky population. The surface temp was in the low 70's which is about right for this time of year.

On one cast, as the spinnerbait broke over the weed edge, it got hammered.

The fish went deep instantly and headed for deeper water. Not a bass, I thought. As it went deep under the boat I got a glimpse of its grey/white colouring. Sheephead! I said to my son. No need to get the net. Well up it came, and we watched as a 5-6 lb rainbow launched itself out of the water, banged off the tunnel, and disappeared. It left me with a perfectly straightened spinnerbait and a stunned look.

I still don't know why that fish was there. I'll always be disappointed I didn't land a rainbow, in a bass boat, on a spinnerbait, largie fishing!?!?

Edited by grimsbylander

Had another eventful outing on the Upper today. I was out with my son and we were working a weed line about 20 ft off the shoreline. I was working a white spinnerbait up tight to shore and ripping it out over the weeds. Right at the weedline, I'd let it flutter at the edge, trying to entice a bass or musky to smash it. My son was throwing a big tandem blade for musky...the Upper has a very health musky population. The surface temp was in the low 70's which is about right for this time of year.

On one cast, as the spinnerbait broke over the weed edge, it got hammered.

The fish went deep instantly and headed for deeper water. Not a bass, I thought. As it went deep under the boat I got a glimpse of its grey/white colouring. Sheephead! I said to my son. No need to get the net. Well up it came, and we watched as a 5-6 lb rainbow launched itself out of the water, banged off the tunnel, and disappeared. It left me with a perfectly straightened spinnerbait and a stunned look.

I still don't know why that fish was there. I'll always be disappointed I didn't land a rainbow, in a bass boat, on a spinnerbait, largie fishing!?!?

And I thought catching huge perch on four inch tubes and bass spinner baits was crazy on a pontoon blow up boat. :sarcasm::D Sorry you didnt get to land it. What a blast that must of been. :clapping:

And I thought catching huge perch on four inch tubes and bass spinner baits was crazy on a pontoon blow up boat. :sarcasm::D Sorry you didnt get to land it. What a blast that must of been. :clapping:

I'd say catching those jumbos sounds like it was a blast. You just never know eh Brian?