Bass on FIRE!

limeyangler

Hi all,

got out for a couple of hours at William's Bay on Lac Seul before rain(and lightning) stopped play.

The roads up there are like driving on tarmac almost, right upto the last 200 yards before the landing, whether you come past Silver water wheel route or the William's Creek route.

The walleye bite was probably the worst I have ever had, although we met plenty at the landing that had no trouble finding them in numbers and size.

We saw lots on sonar but was difficult to get them to bite, not so with the bass.

We must have caught at least twenty in almost as many minutes, definitely on the beds right up on shore....almost impossible to catch anything under 18", definitely more fun than chasing walleye with lockjaw!

Edited by limeyangler

If they are still tight to shore Simon a topwater presentation would be a blast. If they are hitting like you say a topwater anything. I like nothing better than tossing a topwater for Smallies. A good quality is the Rappala Skitter Popper. They have thinner wire hooks and the tendency for them to spit the hooks are less. Thicker shank hooks make a big hole in the soft part of the lips and I have been able to fit my finger into the hole they leave. It's no wonder they spit hooks.

Looks like loads of fun! Thanks for the share. Gotta love when the bass bite is hot!

Yup, bass can be a ton of fun, unfortunately my fishing partner that day did not share my enthusiasm for them, even less so when I informed him we could not keep the ones we were catching because of seasonal size restriction regulations. I went back though the day before yesterday with Roloff my dog, who like me thinks bass fishing is a BLAST! Video of that has just been posted.

Some nice fish there, Simon. Is there a weedline there or were they sitting on rocks?

There is a small weed line, or pockets of weed about 20 to 300 feet from shore that creates a 4 foot barrier before the drop off. The bass were on the shore side of the weed and right up on shore in the rocks.

If they are still tight to shore Simon a topwater presentation would be a blast. If they are hitting like you say a topwater anything. I like nothing better than tossing a topwater for Smallies. A good quality is the Rappala Skitter Popper. They have thinner wire hooks and the tendency for them to spit the hooks are less. Thicker shank hooks make a big hole in the soft part of the lips and I have been able to fit my finger into the hole they leave. It's no wonder they spit hooks.

I went back the day before yesterday with exactly what you suggest in mind, they are a blast on surface poppers, I had a rapala popper on. They would follow, two or three at a time but would not commit. Tried various retrieves, speed changes, leaving it dead, cranking it like hell…you name it I tried it, but they did not want to play. I tried a vibrax spinner too, again follows but NADA…….as soon as I went to jig and minnow….WHAM! I was using gulp Alive minnows too…same result….WHAM! Just posted that video in a new thread…'Walleye and Bass with Roloff'.