Shawanaga Inlet/Pointe Au Baril

Brettiop

Hey everybody!

Rented a cottage on the Shawanaga inlet in mid august for a weekend. Will be my first time fishing that area.

Going with my girlfriend and two other fishing buddies with there girlfriends as well.

I'm thinking the Bulk of the time would be spent pike/bass/walleye/whatever bites fishing, but we'll definitely be trying for musky for awhile as well. Casting and trolling, whichever gives us the best shot i guess

Anyone care to share some advice for this area? I know the rocks can be a real headache up there so ill definitely be taking my time getting around, any particular areas i need to just stay away from?

I have been trying to read up on the area, not finding to much except a lot of advice that the musky fishing can be very tough. So i wont waste our time musky fishing all day if there is good fishing to be had with the other species in the area

Feel free to PM me some info if your more comfortable with that

I have a 19' Lund with a 115 and a kicker, i know Georgian bay can get rough real quick but hopefully the Inlet itself will be a bit more protected.

Thanks!

I would suggest getting a chart of the area before you go, it may give you a better idea of the amount of rocks? I went there for around 25 years and never had a problem, but if I was unsure of an area it was electric motor only for me.

It's also been 26 years or so since I have been there, no idea how the current water levels are. Only one time it was rough enough for me to stay put inside the inlet, in the dark in a smaller boat with a way smaller motor, just couldn't be sure where the known rocks were because of dark and waves.

We never landed a big ski, and didn't catch a small one, there were some very big ones there, we weren't prepared for them. It's probably more a size place than a quantity place for skis.

From the mouth of the inlet back to the Sturgeon is a lot of water to try and cover in a weekend? We couldn't do it all when we went for 2 weeks at a time.

Thanks Ohio!

Ill definitely be getting a chart of the area before going, just got the boat back running don't wanna ruin it on a rock.

Will be buying a electric trolling motor in the next week as well...

And yes its a very big area, hopefully get comfortable with a specific area and stick with it.

Anyone have any other help for me? maybe just about Georgian bay musky in general around that time? any depth or structure i should be looking for? or baits that work particularly well in the bay?

Been fishing the area for 10 years, pike and walleye are realllll slow in august but the smallies and largies are out to play.

You can have your fill of hammer handles though, theres loads of them everywhere.

I wouldnt even be bothering with musky. My understanding is that by mid summer they are west of lookout island in the shoals which are literally impassable by boat. If you are looking for big pike at that time of year, i know a few spots to troll big gear, but once again even the big pike bite can be tough.

Lucky for you the Shawanaga river is a fun place to fish and is reallllly close by.

Fish for muskies for 5-6 hours, when you get tired of no hits? Put on a top water bass lure on inappropriate tackle for muskies, they are sure to hit! LOL

I always though that area was the most beautiful area of Ontario I had visited, and we went there as a multifamily group at times, just my own families vacation, and a guy trip later in the year ( September ).

It's like the land of a million spots to fish? It takes some time to sort thru them and figure out which work better for you at various times of the year. Ladies? The skill level of the ones in my family was pretty low, to keep them occupied and happy catching something often meant a day of live bait fishing.

• 1 month later...

Trip starts Thursday at noon!

Thanks to those that offered some insight to the area, anyone else that can offer some last minute advice that's appreciated too.

I told the girlfriend that we likely wont be fishing for musky, and she got mad and said we have to lol.

I got no problem with that!

Ill post some pics of the trip next week sometime!

Arkisoner if your up in that area this weekend let me know!

I have never been there but can tell you my brother was there on the weekend with his lady and while she was reeling in a small Rock Bass off the dock a 5 pound pic took it and the hook (yes she released it). She then put on the biggest Rappala on that she had and continues fishing and got 3 more smaller legally caught Walters. So I can tell you with certainty there are fish in there.

Edited by Old Ironmaker

the walters are still kicking around, just dispersed a bit, i caught a 20 incher this past weekend at 2 in the afternoon during a no cloud day with a spinner bait.

Fishing has been pretty darn good this year if you know where to look.

Too bad im not up this weekend Brett, would have loved to take you out for a fish.