Tips on getting an outboard running?

ch312

well, im in a dilly of a pickle here. i was given a late 70's johnson 18hp outboard for my boat but it wont start. my dad gave it to me and said "if you want this, you have to know how to fix it incase it dies on the water" so he isnt going to help me out at all. i guess it makes sense...

ill post whatever details and a pic today sometime but i figured id get a headstart because im assuming that all outboards are generally the same so theres likely some general things to try?

first thing is first...

check to see if it has spark...

unscrew the sparkplug from the head, then put the wire back on it and give it a pull... if you get a plug on both pulls, then you know you're getting spark, next issue is fuel... clean the fuel filter and keep squeezing the bulb start cranking the motor, if you're not seeing gas on the plugs, then you're not getting fuel..., if you're getting fuel, do a link and sync...

if that fails, i'm selling a 1960 evinrude for $200 that runs rough... needs a tuneup ;)

i was just checkin it out and its an evinrude eastwin. doesnt say how many horse but i believe its 18.

ill admit i didnt even take the cover off when i was playing with it before but i wish i did cuz its missing a spark plug <_< . i checked for spark and it doesnt spark with every pull but when it does theres a very strong spark. hopefully it just needs new plugs and thats it. does it matter what spark plug wire goes where? theres a top and bottom.

it has the starting instructions on the front of the cover but its worn off :rolleyes: . to get it started, where should i set the throttle? theres 2 different dials for "high speed" and "low speed" should these be set at rich or lean to get it going? where should i keep them all the time?

what gas mix should i use?

under the cover looks like brand new so hopefully theres nothing wrong with it.

do i need to put it in a garbage can full of water or something when i get it running or will it be ok to run it on the stand?