Shore & Pier related fishing question

huzzsaba

Pier fishing is obviously very popular. Is it because the fish like to gather by the pier and therefore a better chance of catching, or is it because it is easily accessible for the public? the piers where a river meets the lake is a no brainer because of fish going into the river but how about the pier that are not connected to a river?

How about fishing from the rocky or beach shores of the great lakes? I have only seen people fishing that way at parks on lake ontario, but I have never seen that at Lake Huron. Never been to Erie so not sure about that. I would assume you would have to cast out really far?

When I go camping, I do go out to swim in the great lakes and get out to about 100 feet where I can still stand in the water. How much further away are the fish? Maybe they stay away from beaches or maybe they are there and can be caught after wading in that far.

Just a thought I had in mind, What do you guys think? I dont mind fishing this way but would rather not look like a fool :whistling:

This video is interesting although it is the ocean.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aCfbYNyX3Us

Edited by huzzsaba

Here at Lake Ontario the drop is rather close so casting from shore or piers can work. On G. Bay in Collingwood I see people fishing from shore using heavy slip sinkers and live bait or roe. (1 or 2 oz). They wade out then bomb them as far as they can. Some have tri pods set up an put their poles in them to keep their tips up high.

When the water warms up wading and tossing spoons like cleos and alligators you never know what you could hook into. Trout, bass, salmon, some places pike or muskies.

I had a friend who lived in an apartment on Lake O. You could see schools of fish swim by when the conditions were right.

Big fish follow bait fish so you never know.

Regards

There are a number of piers along the lakefront on Lake Erie here. Understand that the lakefront has changed drastically since we started engineering it for our use, a lot of areas that were simply marshland have been repurposed.

There are still a lot of areas here where you can walk out into the lake farther than casting distance before you hit deeper water, a pier provides access to it. You get a couple of hundred people fishing off a pier using emerald shiners or worms? You are creating a chum line?

A lot of ours have lights on or near them at night, the lights attract baitfish. Depending on the material used in the construction? They provide shelter for smaller fish and crawfish, a feeding area for larger fish.

Most of our inland lakes are man made here, flooded valleys. A road bridge or rail brige usually has the sides entering the water covered in broken limestone rip rap to prevent erosion. The rip rap provides smaller fish and crawfish with habitat, it can usually mean deeper than normal shoreline depth, and also provides a place for feeding fish to trap baitfish.