Port Maitland fishing

huzzsaba

I plan to visit Rock Point Provincial Park this Friday. Supposedly there is fishing at the park off the limestone rock on the shores of Lake Erie, but if I don't have any luck there, on the way back I plan to stop by Port Maitland Pier to do fishing. What should I expect to catch at this time of the year? Also what type of lure should I should use? Anything I catch at this point is a good catch!

Actually anything besides Carp would be great!

Thanks

Edited by huzzsaba

You might get into some perch. If you are really lucky a Walleye or 2 might be the catch of the day on the lake. Troll a black and silver Rappala around Gull Island or bounce bottom with a jig and live minnow. Any Pickerel caught off the pier in the channel are out of season. The lake side is open all year. Check the regs for yourself to be 100% certain. Use live bait on the pier with a Pickeral rig, but change the hooks to a #3, the hooks the rigs come with go into a recycle bin because they are garbage in my opinion. Fishmasters may have minnows now as well as Mohawk Marina east of Rock Point. I thought you were going to Bing? Anyhoo good luck to you.

Good point on the lake side and channel side having different seasons. I guess I will focus on the lake side for the most since its all open on that side.

I will be going to Byng on Victoria day. Just trying to take advantage of the warm weather and get out for a picnic with the family once a week, so thought I'd hit up Rock point and Maitland this weekend.

Ontario! Yours to Discover! :)

Edited by huzzsaba

How about Friday evening (hour and half before sunset) as far as gong show is concerned? :dunno: I'm trying to avoid weekends and at the same time trying to get in to Rock Point on opening day which is this Friday. Hopefully Friday evening has less of a crowd.

Edited by huzzsaba

Since I am pretty new fishing, I don't have much in my tackle box yet. I do have some 1/4 ounce jig heads and some fake gulp worms as well as some of those plastic neon yellow worms with the curly tails. I have a rapala rattling lure, a northland buckshot lure, a northland bucktail jig, as well as a few spinners. I think I have enough to get some bites and hopefully some caught.

Most of what I have is meant to be jigged and I'm assuming that is the method I should be using. I would be surprised if I don't get anything, but when should I resort to float & hook method or is that not needed? If I were to use what I have, which one should I try first considering I am fishing from the pier?

I know I am overthinking here, but honestly anything I catch is fine but mainly would like to target perch and if I get lucky and get a walleye (of course on the lake side) would be a bonus.

Edited by huzzsaba