Kitty fishing

bigugli

Finally went for the overnight catfish session with the son and some friends. We had a blast despite not catching any large fish. We certainly made up for it in numbers and variety. Lots of bullheads and small channel cats. I was Mr Variety. Managed to catch a rather large mudpuppy, and a 2+ foot long American eel. I have not seen one since the days when my one uncle would trap them, back when I was a boy. This was the first I had ever caught. The way they fight, I thought I had a good sized fish on the line. I forgot just how slimy and how strong the smell was.

While all of this is going on we had us a fine camp dinner around the fire. Rob got a little carried away on the smoker during the day. We ate smoked chops, smoked bacon, double smoked sausages that looked more like smoked turds. Lol. Fried taters, onions, and more bacon cooked over the fire. I'm struggling with the meat sweats at the moment. Might have to stick to eating greenage today.

The plan was to stay out til sunup, but the bite died around 1 am., and the women were getting cold, so we managed to drag ourselves home by 3 am. It was fun, but I'm hurting this morning. Time for a brandy.

Edited by bigugli

Wow. Sounds like a great day. Live release is correct. Info on the eel and mudpuppy is always good. Do you remember the eels eye colour?

Too dark to tell.

I have angler diaries that are turned in to the conservation authority every year so they can gather catch info.

Sounds like a fun night. Wish you had got a picture of the eel.

How's the brandy going down ;)

Nothing like a little hair of the dog.

I did not think about a picture. I was more concerned with getting it back in the water PDQ. Besides all the "women" in the bunch were squealing because of the slime and how it kept trying to wrap around their arms.