C.U.P.E and the T.O. Star

davew3

OPG is owned 100% by the Ontario government.

You are correct, I was wrong it wasn't OPG... It is complicated to explain what was "sold", because it was only rights to sell power to customers and some assets for generation. This Auditor General reports explains the timeline and what happened to strand the debt and it was under Harris and Eves.

http://www.auditor.on.ca/en/reports_en/en11/304en11.pdf

Edited by Canuck2fan

I'm pretty sure OPG & Hydro One were intended to be sold to the private sector but to this date it hasn't happened & remain government owned. If memory serves Ontario Hydro was split into 5 companies not 2 but I could be wrong?

Hydro One was split into 5 entities, but most newpapers only mention Hydro One and OPG.

Wikipedia actually lists them all. Thanks for correcting me, because I am interested in how this whole mess actually happened. Another point of confusion is two of the new companies were later renamed...

Edited by Canuck2fan

You are correct, I was wrong it wasn't OPG... It is complicated to explain what was "sold", because it was only rights to sell power to customers and some assets for generation. This Auditor General reports explains the timeline and what happened to strand the debt and it was under Harris and Eves.

http://www.auditor.on.ca/en/reports_en/en11/304en11.pdf

The real issue is why did they have $38 billion of debt to begin with. All three parties contributed to the accumulation of that debt. If they weren't so far into debt to begin with, there wouldn't have been any debt to become stranded debt.

The real issue is why did they have $38 billion of debt to begin with. All three parties contributed to the accumulation of that debt. If they weren't so far into debt to begin with, there wouldn't have been any debt to become stranded debt.

That is why I said every government since electricity was "invented" has sold it for less than it really cost...

Just looking back at the cost over runs on a lot of hydro projects historically it shows how people thought it was fair to charge something for nothing for the gas plants. Darlington alone was 7.5 Billion over the estimate and that was in 1981 to 1993 dollars. Bill Davis, Frank Miller. David Peterson, and Bob Rae all owned that one... Definitely shows all parties have gotten it wrong.

I don't think this thread is Teacher bashing as much as Teachers Union bashing. Eeenie meenie minee moe, catch a political party by the toe. If not the Liberals, who then?

Maybe most here were too young to remember but it was Bob Rea and his union supporting NDP crew that deemed several large companies operating in Ontario as " Too big to fail", 25 years ago. It was the NDP that allowed those companies to slide on their legal obligations for pension plan contributions to their companies pension plans. Fast forward to the last 15 years and most of those pension plans are woefully underfunded. A few of those companies too large to fail in Ontario, Stelco, GM, Chrysler, Proctor and Gamble to name a few. I know of more than a few members on this website that are waiting with baited breath for the outcome of US Steel Canada's CCAA bankruptcy protection and possible sale. The hourly workers that fought for a century for fair wages and benefits and may have experienced several strikes and lockouts to "earn" their pensions find that their pensions are underfunded by more than 20% in some cases.

So I ask if not the Liberals who then shall run the asylum?