Favorite fish dish..... What's yours?

Gerritt

No wonder why I like you :) minus you not liking salt cod lol.

I'm just not fond of cod in general. I can still remember the smell of the gut piles some 40 years later. We were downwind of a fish wharf and packing plant for a couple of summers down east.

I'll take a fresh cod any day! I was raised on it. You'd think a guy would get sick of it, after hauling traps full of them 3 times a day, cleaning up to 15,000 lbs of them.....but I still love it. The last time I was in NFLD, the first one I jigged up I took a bite out of it lol.

My old man salts his own still to this day.

Gerrit, that salt cod meal you posted is similar to what we call "fish, fat, taties an dat". Its basically the same, but we use fried salt pork "scrunchions" for the fat part, and dont add the hot sauce.

The fish and brewis is basically boiled salt cod, with hard bread. You could google it.

Cod au gratin...or whatever fish you choose ( I like perch or pike, has to be kinda meaty, solid fish). Just take a glass pan (9 x 13) make a white sauce (butter, flour and water basically) put a layer of fillets, layer of white sauce, then your favourite cheddar, another layer of fish, sauce cheese....until full. Top off with cracker crumbs and more cheddar, bake until ready.

Can you tell I just wing it? LOL. No real recipes.

Its funny how newfies and europeans share a lot of similar meals.

My old man is a chef. I grew up eating well, and still love to cook. I do 90 percent of the cooking at home too.

S.

Edited by Sinker