Simcoe snow

Christopheraaron

Hey guys, I'm taking a friend out for his first time ice fishing tomorrow, we were thinking Simcoe but do have a couple of other options. The only thing is that he's an older guy and I'll likely be pulling most if not all of the gear. Ideally I'd want to hit up Virginia beach but I haven't been this season and am not sure what the snow conditions are like, if it's anymore then just a dusting I'll probably just hit cooks or a small lake. Any updates are appreciated!

Chris

I was up there on Saturday, we got to the ice road at 7:30 and it was hard to see where the road was defined. I would recommend driving on the ice road, and perpendicular to where you want to fish. Have your buddy stay where you unload. Then park your vehicle either just off the road, where there is limited spots, or go back to the shore. Keep in mind, a truck fell through the ice a few weeks ago and they had to move the ice road over.

The snow drifts can be steep and even with a 4x4 can get stuck. Some snow drifts were about 10"-12" deep. Treking out there will be tough even if you are not dragging anything.

I walked out this past Saturday out of Sandy Cove area, and only made it to the 20ft water mark before deciding that was enough pulling. It snowed since then, so I'd have to guess there must be 6-8" of snow in some spots. Problem with walking is the snow is now so deep, even snowmobile tracks aren't as solid as you'd hope.

Hauling the flasher, portable hut, heater, tackle, etc in the sled makes for a tough go with this much snow. Much prefer a set of cleats and glare ice for walking and pulling! I walked halfway to Fox Island from Sandy Cove earlier this year with my cleats, that was awesome.