To the Carp Experts out there....

ccmtcanada

Well, bly and I have checked a bunch of spots that hold lots of Carp in our area. While we cant see lots of fish, we can see plenty of activity at the water's surface. The jumping right out of the water has slowed down, but we see them "rolling" at the surface in one spot in shallow water. We are assuming this is the spawning process.

Ok...I know it depends on temperature etc, but how long on average can you expect them to continue? Do they start biting again once it's over or do they move out? People I've talked to around here say that they stay all summer long, but I'm not sure if that's true. I'm not sure I have the patience to chum areas to keep them in a certain area or not.

Anyhow, just wondering what to expect. Thanks!

I've heard/read that carp begin to spawn when it hits 60-65 degrees F. In the areas where I fish, the slow down period is from mid-June through to mid/late-July. July is my worst month of the year. You can still catch them though...Just expect to wait a little longer in between fish. Not all fish spawn at the very same moment so there's always something willing to bite. Even so, 2 yrs ago on the islands I got into a few fish which were spawning not more than 10 min earlier - After a few mouthfuls they were back at it. Kinda reminds me of that Seinfeld episode where food and sex do mix.

Edited by MJL

The best thing about the carp spawn, is that they do this in different waters at different times, in shallow lakes, ponds & streams, the water might be warm enough by mid to late May, but in areas in & along Lake Ontario, it could be as much as a month later, so once you get your fishin' spots organized, you should be able to find feeding carp in some of them most of the time!! But . . . . not to confuse the carp that splash around in the shallows or continuously are jumping & rolling in July, August & September . . . . from what I understand, this is called 'porpoising,' they're just playing or rooting around the bottom, feeding. Lotsa splashing & jumping = no catching!

Here is my take. A lot of people read the carping reports lately think : Argh, those anoying carp, I see tons of them when I fish for xxx but I just don't care for them. Because there are so many of them and they are so easy to catch. Now, I have to say, seeing them is one thing, catching them rightfully is another. You may have caught one with a lure, a worm, or even a minnow by accident, tell me if you can consistently catch them when you want to and you think it's easy. You must have read the frustration some carpers here express from time to time (if you care to read the carp reports).

I think, when you see carp roaming around near the surface or jumping in numbers, it's likely you won't do well fishing for them, at least not those you see. It's like they have a switch to turn themselves into "eating", "mating", and "playing". They don't mix any two of the three (okay, maybe the last two)

Now, stalking is different (let me cover this before MJL jumps in). When stalking, you are seeing those capr that are not supposed to be seen. Not like those rolling on the surface 10 yards away and don't even seem to care about your presense. Right, they don't, because they know they won't fall for your tactics, whatever that might be.

Okay, I talk too mcuh ...

Here is my take. A lot of people read the carping reports lately think : Argh, those anoying carp, I see tons of them when I fish for xxx but I just don't care for them. Because there are so many of them and they are so easy to catch. Now, I have to say, seeing them is one thing, catching them rightfully is another. You may have caught one with a lure, a worm, or even a minnow by accident, tell me if you can consistently catch them when you want to and you think it's easy. You must have read the frustration some carpers here express from time to time (if you care to read the carp reports).

I think, when you see carp roaming around near the surface or jumping in numbers, it's likely you won't do well fishing for them, at least not those you see. It's like they have a switch to turn themselves into "eating", "mating", and "playing". They don't mix any two of the three (okay, maybe the last two)

At my local swim in Waterloo, i have only seen them jump; i have actually never seen one cruise around (probably because it is really shallow near shore) so i wouldn't be able to comment on the spawing activity with respect to the feeding. However, Randy said exactly what's on my mind about the catching part ... i can be catching a few in 2 hours one week, and then get skunked for 2 trips the week after. (with the same bait, same location, and almost same time of the day). It is not easy at all ... you have no idea how many days i have spent just sitting there staring at my line lol.

Now, stalking is different (let me cover this before MJL jumps in). When stalking, you are seeing those capr that are not supposed to be seen.

you are in big trouble Randy ... you spelled "carp" wrong!! <_< ... man you're gonna get skunked all week haha

you are in big trouble Randy ... you spelled "carp" wrong!! <_< ... man you're gonna get skunked all week haha

You see, I have not caught one in so long I don't even remember how to spell the word....sigh. I need a good outing to write a report soon.....

Ok...I know it depends on temperature etc, but how long on average can you expect them to continue? Do they start biting again once it's over or do they move out? People I've talked to around here say that they stay all summer long, but I'm not sure if that's true. I'm not sure I have the patience to chum areas to keep them in a certain area or not.

Anyhow, just wondering what to expect. Thanks!

I find after the spawn, fishing adjacent to deep channels is best. The carp generally don't stay in very shallow water all year.