Simcoe fishing

tender52

Hey gang. I want to ask a favor. I have been heading to Simcoe now for the last I don't know how long,once to possibly twice a year. and mainly hit a outfitter for perch. That said, " Santa " ( the kids ) dropped me off a Rapala fat shack and I would like to expand my knowledge to Lakers and Whitefish. The longest rod I have is a 34 inch med/heavy, several 30 in, and two 24 in ultra light. Oh, and 2 tip ups. I figure im OK that way however im not sure where to set up or bait to bring. ( minnows / tube jigs ) Probably the biggest downfall is I have no flasher or fish finder. I don't want to be held by the hand, but pointed in the right direction for gear ect. Now Im gonna be a bit shy and say if anybody has room for a tag along, you wont be disappointed. I Referee hockey also so I have to play it by ear weekend to weekend.

Thanks for any and all information,

Colin

Hi Colin.

Fishing for whities and lakers without fishfinder is possible but in my opinion is a waste of time. To catch those fish you have to be on top of them and play them with electronics.

You can still do it, but it will be hard and might be really disappointing for you. If you decided to go - grab Williams spoons and bad boys jigs. Work them slowly on the bottom pounding the bottom from time to time.

Good luck.

I would be more then willing to have a hook up, but Im a keener. At the parking spot at dark and walking just before day break starts . I hate waiting for people. High drifter was doing 140 clicks last sunday to make sure he wouldn't be late. :w00t::rofl2:

Plus I never know where Im going to go til the morning. Wind direction is the main player in that one plus intel reports. B)

I would invest in a cheap depth finder if I were you to start. Atleast this will give you depth of water you are in. Put the fish icon on for fun with the kids.

Spoons like the Williams and bad boys will get you started. Spreaders and tip up are great as well.

Walk out and giver.

Good luck.

Thanks Brian. I might take you up on that offer. I also don't like waiting around. I will pm you. I will also look at that fishfinder you mentioned there Pete. I have one on the boat but she's fastened down good. And 3 hrs away from here. I use it for the same thing. Structure and depth.

Colin,if you were to make the trip up, I would wait. :angel: Im on the water here (well 5 minutes from), So in the morning, I just get up,have a cup of java, some toast, read the boards, look out the window,read the winds and set out on my way.

Terry and I do it every weekend. No plans til the morning of. :D

It,s the reason I moved up here from the city.

I have been doing more exploring this season then norm. I want to check out new areas that I see no one fishing. Never know,just might find that golden spot.

I await your pm. :Gonefishing:

Edited by Brian B