Tips for fishing in St. Martin

davew3

I was there in '91 and almost lost my lunch at the "sightings" on the beach and the stench from the resort...... well other than the little honey that sat down beside me at the beach bar and ordered a beer, and I asked her where she kept her money! :whistling:

Yes I was there again a few years ago.. and it's become VERY populated. I'll try to find my report...

Edited by irishfield

Yes Wayne I stayed at Orient beach as well a while back. At Mount Vernon. An interesting place for sure.

This time staying over at Grande Case. I hear there are tarpon over at Marigot. Looking for other shore spots as well.

Regards

• 1 month later...

16 days and counting :) far cry from last weekend. Was in Haliburton trying for lakers. missed three good hits on tip-ups and that was all. Boy did it cool down when the wind picked up -30 But in 2 weeks + 30. can't get here soon enough.

Regards

I was just in St Lucia a month ago and had a chance to do some shore fishing; off a breakwall at the resort. Didn't catch anything, just fed a lot of cut squid to whatever was down there. One of the groundskeepers came over for a look see and said that my #4 hooks were to large for the fish in that area. That I should be using a #8 or 10 because the fish were likely only 1 or 2 pounders?

I didn't bother looking for tackle down there, so I just kept feeding the fish, with what I had. LOL

So I guess just because we're fishing the sea, it doesn't mean you have to go with big tackle to shore fish.

Dan.

Hey davew3 - While I have fishing St Martin, I have fishing nearby in the British Virgin Islands. I expect the same species will be available year round. Cuda, tarpon, bonefish, permit, yellowtail, jacks and more from shore. I had a look at a map and I would take a look at those bridges near the airport - especially if there are lights there you will see plenty of big fish at night. Marinas often are a good option as long as they allow fishing - they usually dont want fishermen close to the yachts though!

Keep an eye out for pelicans diving, they will lead you to bait, and the big fish wont be far behind.

Thanks Fishing Fury. Was sitting in a bar in Marigot last time in a harbour and was watching what I think were young barracudas swim around. So who knows may have some fun there.

Geez snowing here again. It just can't get here soon enough. And I hope it is done by the time I get back. I am staying at a place called The Dove's Nest. I hear the owner is also a charter captain. So who knows may go out with him or at least gets some tips.

drive safe out there