Kipawa Early Spring Laker Fishing - Care to Share?

KraTToR

A buddy and I are considering a trip to Kipawa in early May. Any recommendations on accommodations, fishing techniques, etc?

I'm planning on bringing my own boat so i would like to know about parking (if the resort is water access only) and the launch.

Many thanks in advance!

I can set you up with a buddy that rents cabins on the lake. Basic, but nice, and very reasonably priced (far cheaper than any resort). Look up Turtle Pt on a map. You will have to launch in town @ Kipawa and make the run down lake.

Flatlining all your typical lake trout gear should yield good numbers of fish.

i fished Kipawa about eight years ago and it was an interesting lake. First off it was a rough lake because of it's size so be prepared to fish in some heavy seas.(we were in a 19 ft Starcraft) We downrigged and flat lined for days and didn't have much of anything to show for it. However, when we went back in the summer we caught lots of smaller lakers of of the riggers. As for the spring the majority of the lake trout were caught by casting dead herring off the docks into deep water and just letting them sit on bottom. If you bring downriggers be careful because the lake bottom is crazy. You will have 300 ft down to 50 ft in no time.I should mention we marked tons of fish all the time on bottom but couldn't ever get them to hit a thing. If the main lake isn't producing there are some good brook trout lakes in the area. Good luck.

I'll second the crazy topography. Spring fishing may actually be harder because they can be anywhere near the surface of the lake and you will have a lot spring systems moving through. It's my opinion only but I'd say the trout fishing is better up in the northern section....the further you are away from Kipawa the better.

I've spent 17 weeks fishing Lake Kipawa over the last 14 years. While I primarily fish for walleye, two members of our group typically spend half their fishing time fishing for lake trout. And they have enjoyed success catching lake trout. Half of our trips were in mid to late Jun while the other half of our trips were in Sep. I can easily recommend 3 Seasons Camp - see http://www.3seasonscamp.com/ as an excellent place to stay. Our group has stayed at 3 Seasons Camp for all 17 trips. Even better, one of the best lake trout runs on the lake is right out in front of the camp. As well, another good lake trout run is about 4 miles from camp. 3 Seasons Camp is a boat to camp. For someone bringing their own boat, there is plenty of parking at the Taggart Bay Lodge docks.

I can set you up with a buddy that rents cabins on the lake. Basic, but nice, and very reasonably priced (far cheaper than any resort). Look up Turtle Pt on a map. You will have to launch in town @ Kipawa and make the run down lake.

Flatlining all your typical lake trout gear should yield good numbers of fish.

PM sent