GPS Magellan Explorist 500 LE for $200 at CTC

BFSC Kevin

I bought it at that price from CTC in December. I like it, but have nothing to compare it too.

The latest version of their "direct route" (mapping) software was about $180 CDN, download from their website. The latest version of the lake software for the Kawatrhas area was about $160, so you are looking at some additional costs. It is virtually useless as-is out of the box with the base map included, but then again I wanted to use it for driving directions and with the lake map.

You will also need to buy at least a 1GB Sandisk SD card. Some of the other brands apparently aren't recognized by the unit.

The LE model does not include a Lithium Ion rechargeable battery. It includes a battery pack that gets power from 3 AAA size batteries. It also does not include a charging cable, other than the USB one, but that does not matter as there should be a mail-in form for a free one from Magellan. I really lucked out and there was a Lithium Ion battery with mine. I don't know why, as it says right in the box what is included and that was not listed. You can order one from Magellan for about $30-$40, which I reccomend if you don't luck out like I did.

Having said all the above, I like the unit. I like the colour screen and the menu set-up. It has always worked and not let me down. It picks up a signal fairly quickly and the map response is quick as well. One thing I didn't like is the customer service. Long story (nothing to do with the unit) but I hope you never have to call. The battery life from the rechargeable definitely lasts for a day on the water or in the truck. I don't know how long the battery pack (with AAA's) lasts as I have never used it. Keep the back light on low, it eats the batteries quick.

Great, phenominal, deal IMO at $200, but at full price - not so much. Just remember about the additinal maps costs.

Kevin,

Just to compare prices I looked at the LeBarons Catalogue,

Get this,

THEY SELL IT FOR $218.00 - NOT ON SALE!!!!

I was/am in shock!!!!

I still can't believe it!!

Another vote for Garmin. Have a look at the eTrex series (CX version comes with expanded memory capability). These units run on the more common AA batteries. Check out RadioWorld for best prices.

Cheers.