Gas auger advice

Mr.Topwater!

I always use stabil in my gas equipment & only Shell V power gasoline (V power contains 0 ethanol). I was unaware that there is a "marine grade" stabilizer. Where do I purchase this stuff? My Jiffy auger manual specifies a 24:1 mix. Anybody else have these specs? Mr. Topwater - I strongly recommend you read the owner's thoroughly before operating it. Follow their instructions. If your new auger should fail, at least you have followed their procedures when (hopefully it's not necessary) it comes time for a warranty repair.

My Strikemaster is 24:1 but I run Opti-2 @ 75:1 in it.

I run the same mix in all of my 2 stroke engines. Outboards, chain saws, augers etc.

I also use stabil in every can of gas as well as in my boats tank.

Doesn't matter what grade of gas I use though as there is no corn juice in any fuel up in the great white North!! :clapping:

I always use stabil in my gas equipment & only Shell V power gasoline (V power contains 0 ethanol). I was unaware that there is a "marine grade" stabilizer. Where do I purchase this stuff? My Jiffy auger manual specifies a 24:1 mix. Anybody else have these specs? Mr. Topwater - I strongly recommend you read the owner's thoroughly before operating it. Follow their instructions. If your new auger should fail, at least you have followed their procedures when (hopefully it's not necessary) it comes time for a warranty repair.

You can get it at Canadian Tire etc. It is blue and not red and states Marine Stabil as the brand name. There are others out there. The common red stabilizer maintains gas quality and octane when stored. The blue marine stabilizer does the same but also addresses the ethanol issues. I use it in all my motors with regular gas. Leave them full, never drain and have never had an issue. 75 4 stroke yammaha, 50 hp 4 stroke merc, chain saw, weed eater, lawnmowers, you name it.

Mr Topwater, I have the same auger. This is the third season with it. Fuel stabilzer is good advice. Also, I keep mine in the shed all year, with a full tank in the off season.

Be careful with it in the cold, the black plastic does not like bouncing around. I have several pieces that have cracked and fallen off. I was getting ready to go fishing tomorrow and noticed that the kill switch is now only held by the wires. I'll have to make a small metal bracket for it now.

Also spare blades are good and carry them with you. I drilled a bunch of holes the first year. I wanted to move a line later, and punched a hole right onto a rock. I couldn't cut any more holes. I went to CTC on the way home and bought another set. I was able to sharpen the originals and keep them in my tackle bag as spares.

I also drilled a second hole throught the shafts below to bolt that attached the auger to the motor and inserted a coupler pin. The bolt and allen key are with my spare blades. This modification makes it a lot easire to break it down and pack it at the end of the day with cold hands.

http://answers.canadiantire.ca/answers/9045/product/0406509P/no-master-lock-coupler-latch-pin-questions-answers/questions.htm

I just used a fine file and tried to follow the factory angle. They are stainless steel, so not really easy to sharpen. I just use them as spares if I get out to the lake and find I can't cut anymore for whatever reason.

I noticed today, that the plastic holding the kill switch has broken as well, so I have to fabricate a metal bracket for it. The rest of the plastic that broke was mostly cosmetic anyway, except for the kill switch piece.

I have the same auger and I run TruFuel 50:1 in it (I do not have any other 2 stroke toys). For me this is the easiest and safest way to fuel the thing.

Mine, in the cold (-20C and lower) it likes a full throttle start which would indicate it is tuned too rich I suppose? Anyway it starts lol....

Burt :)

Edited by Burtess