tags for trailering

grt1

a buddy of mine from Calgary just emailed me asking if I knew anything about this law for trailering boats in Ontario, that is supposed to be similar to the new law in Minnesota. the new law in Minnesota requires anyone who is pulling a trailer , of any kind, needs a tag on it and according to posts on another fishing website, it applies to float planes that can land on any lake in Minnesota too,

this is new to me, but just wondering if anyone on this board has heard rumblings of an Ontario law to this effect?

The proposed 2014 law in Minnesota is in reference to another level of training/certification on the spread of Aquatic Invasive Species (AIS). Like getting your boating license, the DNR have proposed an on-line training course that is mandatory for all those boat, canoe, kayak and float plane owners. The course is aimed at increasing public awareness to prevent the spread of AIS's and of course it'll cost you money to complete. You get a sticker to put on your boat that says your trained not to spread invasive species.

I think what has caused such an uproar is that you need the certification even if you are just travelling through the state with your boat and not stopping. It got the attention of many DNR's and also the MNR up here in Canada

I could be wrong but when I was following this, I don't think it ever passed for the AIS training and decals. Instead Minnesota slapped an AIS user surcharge of $5.00 on all boat registrations. They're good for 3 years and then you have to pay again.