mounting a fish finder to your ATV or Sled

Lunkerhunter

Good morning all,

just pondering with the idea of mounting my fish finder/gps to my sled for the upcoming ice season. i like the idea of having a fixed screen to view instead of using my little handheld.

anyone else out there done this already? any tips/advice?

i was wondering what the best way to mount the gps to my sled would be and if any concerns about mounting a bigger unit. I have a HDS 7 I was thinking of using but wasn't sure if it would be too big and i should just go buy a cheaper smaller one. should i just go with a ram mount?

I see that lowrance sells a cigarette lighter power plug cable so i would assume that would work fine.

any info is greatly appreciated

I have the Lowrance lighter adapter on my ATV. I wired a cigarette lighter to the front cargo box with a separate toggle switch/fuse directly to the battery. It has worked great for the last number of years.

Johnny Ray mount for the 522 also on the cargo box inside a small insulated cooler bag. The GPS zips up inside the cooler bag after I have reached my destination on the ice. I only use the 522 on full size Mapping screen during the winter.

Edited by Tom McCutcheon

I have a handheld garmin I have mounted on my skidoo and ATV. But between the size of the screen and the vibrations running across the ice it is hard to stay focused on it and drive too. Now I have my hds5. A nice big screen and if my fish finder craps out I have it as a backup