new float reel options?

bow slayer

Well looks like I am handing down my nearly 20 year old Black Stanton reel to my 14 year as he caught the steelheading bug. Right now he has been using a stadic 2000 on a 11ft fenwick but has tried the stanton a few times and really likes it. So I am in the market for a new reel,just like a few opinions on reels,looking to spend up to 500 -600 on a reel or a combo new or used. I am just out of touch with what is good or not so these days. thanks

I'm of the opinion that if you're spending that much money why buy something mass produced? The two Bill mentioned are great choices if you can find one, I've owned and fished both. Within Ontario you might want to have a look at the Canada Drifter reel made by Wayne Petrevan. He makes two versions a clicker model and one with a drag. They're pretty sweet reels and patterned after the Clough.

http://www.canadafishingreels.com/the-canada-drifter-float-reel/

demarco is on my wishlist, is he making more or strictly used market now?

I've used islanders and kingpins, but sold them and have 2 john milner reels currently, he can custom porting on the spool if you want

http://www.johnmilnerreels.com/

Speaking with Adam last week he'll be resuming production at some point soon.

This is JMO on this.

There are high end and there are low end reels.

IMO, it comes down to what you can afford . I would love a nice bling bling reel, but it,s not in my budget.

When I see these reels,I drool, then give my head a shake and say, it,s not in my budget. I have always wanted an Islander,but everytime I see one for sale,it,s gone quick.

I,m am very happy with what I have now and I catch fish. What else can one want.

I currently own a Raven SST 2 on a Raven 3pc IM6 13'.6",and new Raven SST 3, that is on a Quantum Tour Premium river factory rod (that I bought from a past on member here,and will never sell) and a Okuma Raw 2 that is on a 3 pc CTS 13'.6" custom, made by our member Spiel.

I was selling the SST 2 and rod,but decided to keep it. If your interested,PM me. Im sure we could come to a fair deal. It is 9/10.

Mike the link you gave me to Canada Drifter,do you know the approx. time to get a reel? Figuring you have to order one. thanks

For sure you have to order one but I'm really not sure on the wait time. I do know he has at least one of his 5" Revolution reels in stock, or at least he did a couple weeks ago.

http://www.canadafishingreels.com/revolution-float-reel/

You'd best call him directly to inquire.

Cheers