Cleaning/treating Gortex rainwear...?

Pigeontroller

I use Nikwax "Tech wash" to clean my Gore tex gear and then Nikwax TX.Direct WASH-IN to restore waterproofing,

Just follow the instructions,

regular laundry soap can damage the water repellency (water beeding) of goretex garments.

I use Nikwax "Tech wash" to clean my Gore tex gear and then Nikwax TX.Direct WASH-IN to restore waterproofing,

Just follow the instructions,

regular laundry soap can damage the water repellency (water beeding) of goretex garments.

I use the same stuff on my wading jackets.. Works awesome. You can pick it up at MEC.

After washing. it is important to restore DWR ( durable water repellency ), water, dirt and grime getting in the fibers (wetting out) will reduce the waterproofing and durability of garment.

water should just beed off from top of the garment.

I have tried all the washes and sprays and none really stand out as being better than the other . Just make sure that the suit is washed

first then apply the water proofing . I use the spray rather than the wash in , seems to work a bit better and you can spray a little more

in places that need it ( hood , shoulders and rear end area ) Right now I'm using Revivex and it seems to work pretty good .

One thing is that you will never get back the original DWR no matter how hard you try , I have been trying and have been unsuccessful .

I was on a recent camping trip and it rained for 3 out of 4 days , I was thankful I had a gore tex suit but after the first day the suit wetted out

and the water beading stopped . It still kept me dry though . I think no matter what you do , after a day or two of living in steady rain your suit will

get saturated anyways . Good luck !