Question about launching dingy near mouth of belle river

Wagoneer

Looking for some insight if there's an easy place to park and launch my boat around belle river marina IF the marina ramp is busy (on google earth it only looks like there's one ramp)? I'm not trying to dodge a ramp fee (actually I haven't yet been charged for ramp fees at any marina for my boat even after I try to pay them anyways. I usually buy a chocolate bar and pop to at least contribute some business to the marina), I'm just asking because I'm planning on going out solo and I don't want to set up my boat and clog up a ramp for any period of time if I don't absolutely need to.

There seems to be a parking lot across from the river from the marina that seems to have some low shoreline but it's impossible to tell from google earth. Would that be an option? And I'd rather not drag it along the beach. Sand is not good to get lodged in the seams of an inflatable boat. I run it up on beaches all the time, but I'd rather not drag it along dry sand for too long or have to carry my motor a large distance (I'm a big guy, but it's 120lbs of pure awkwardness).

But if the marina is deserted during the week like most others I won't worry about it and launch it from the ramp.

Well I tried the best I could and managed to get a huge musky up to the boat but before I could net it he flailed and spit the lure. That's all I could muster the entire day was the one musky. Trolled all the way to belle river and back from puce a couple times (tried everything from 8' to 16') until I ran low on gas. Tried all different lure depths, speeds, and every musky lure I own. The entire day I was pulling weeds off the lures. How do you guys deal with the weeds?! Even with the weight in front of my 36" leader catching the weeds it was still covering the lure every single time I pulled it up. Sometimes before I could get the 2nd line in the water the first one was covered in weeds. Talk about frustrating. I'm thinking of adding my 18" leaders in front of my 36" and maybe the weeds won't make it to the lure. Is that why a lot of people run with the tips of the rods in the water so the tips catch the weeds and not the line?

When I was out on the charter over the weekend he was clearing weeds constantly, though he did have these round 3-4 oz weights tied on with some sort of light chain mail looking stuff so it caught the weeds before it made it to the lure which was probably 6' behind

also it depends on the wind direction, according to the guide I was with if you have a nice east wind if I remember correctly (at least fishing from lighthouse cove area) it keeps the weeds away from the areas they want to fish

Edited by Lucas F

I use 3 tear drop hanging weights at the front of the leader and they do a pretty good job of catching all the weeds before the lure. I think the key is to just extend the leaders so the weeds never make it as far as the lure. Obviously my 36" leaders aren't cutting it since the clumps of weeds were long enough to still cover the lures.

The one musky I landed (err... I guess not really) hit about 10 seconds after I dropped the line down so there weren't any weeds on it yet. I have no doubt the lures covered in weeds was what was stopping me from landing anymore. I just got lucky with the one I hooked I think.