Taltson Bay and Hearne Lake NWT

NewHips

Just got back from fishing these two lakes, I want to put together a detailed report as soon as I catch my breath. In short summary......My son got a PB 47in pike and I got a PB 47in Pike as well, I had a bigger pike on but my fish gripper broke in half from the power of these beautiful fish. I had her boat side but could only hand grip her....... and she swam off, easily a 48-50 inch fish.
In one evening for the camp (there were 7 of us total) a 49,48,2/47,2/44 and many in the 41/42 range were landed. One of the guys had 9 master anglers in one night.
Hearne Lake..........many trout, 140 total for 3 days, 3-5lb average, really fun on a small rod. They were incredible fighters as well. Water was in the upper 40's...........Northern Lights were fantastic as we had a couple of clear nights. Here are a couple of teaser pictures.
Enjoy.......New Hips

http://DSC_8029_zps74c83f89.jpgDSC_7994_zpscca9e834.jpg

http://DSC_8025_zps121ad9bf.jpg

Talston is the pike stuff of legends. Will be looking forward to this report Hips. Surprised you wouldn't book a 3 or 4 day on Slave for lakers, instead of Hearne. You were already there. Although, a report on Hearne will be interesting as well.

Nice job on the big slobs.

Jack Penny would be proud

Jack if I remember correctly had five faves... Talston Bay, Athabasca, Lac La Martre, Midnight Sun Alaska and Wolf Lake... but the biggest pike he ever saw was a river fish in the Yukon. Wish he was around this site to correct me if I'm wrong.

Talston is the pike stuff of legends. Will be looking forward to this report Hips. Surprised you wouldn't book a 3 or 4 day on Slave for lakers, instead of Hearne. You were already there. Although, a report on Hearne will be interesting as well.

Nice job on the big slobs.

Jack if I remember correctly had five faves... Talston Bay, Athabasca, Lac La Martre, Midnight Sun Alaska and Wolf Lake... but the biggest pike he ever saw was a river fish in the Yukon. Wish he was around this site to correct me if I'm wrong.

Moosebunk...............couldn't find any outfitters they shut down the end of August. That might be my next trip :whistling:

I think the biggest pike Jack P saw was a river fish in Alaska. Talston supposedly has issues but one them doesn't seem to be the fishery itself! I'll be drooling for sure with your full report. Had always wanted to fish this spot but couldn't find the right person to fish it with.

Yukon... Alaska... same thing really Chris. lol.

Not really. The yukon sits on the leeward side of a major mountain range and Canada's largest mountains. They get a lot less rain then the temperate mountain climate one sees on the windward side of that mountain chain. That rainy warmer part is Alaska where Sarah Palin lives. :)