Getting a shock off my outboard. ???

Entropy

I am getting a shock off my outboard. 15 hp tiller, Evinrude 1980'ish, pull start.

The shock is only while it is running (obviously), off of the metal below where the cowl seals on both sides and the front. The faster the RPM the more of a shock. I have checked all wires and only one is slightly worn, but no wires are showing through.

Could it be a problem with the 'push' style of kill button, or a coil? Or what?

Thanks for any help.

Entropy

A crack in a sprkplug wire can be almost invisible. If it's on the underside of the wire it could easily arc to te metal housing, undetected.

Try running it in total darkness. Any leak should be clearly visible. (blue arc).

That will show you where the arching is coming from,good advice.

Spray bottle of water on ignition wires to find the arc. Helps to see better. Do it in dim light and you should find the culprit right quick if it is one of the spark plug wires. Good luck.

The last thing I would do is spray water on ignition components!!!!!!!!

Lord only knows what you may short out in the process.

In all liklihood it's the bottom sparkplug wire. It's probably cracked on the underside and arcing to the metal housing.

A cracked coil or other damged wiring would have more of an effect on performance. Newer outboards have secondary insulators strategically placed along the length of plug wires so they can't come into contact with metal components.

In many cases the plug wire is an integral part of the coil. In order to change the plug wire, you must purchase a complete unit. (both coil and plug wire) Such was the case with my snowblower.

If you can locate the leak, carefully wrap the area with electrical tape. Over time the insulation degrades and becomes brittle. One can easily cause more cracking. The less you disturb the wire the better.