Dipsy Divers for the first time.

davey buoy

Yup. If you are running more than two dispeys, turns will need to be very slow - watch the outside line track behind the boat and if it is behind you instead of off to the side your turning too tight. You could get away with that if you had one on each side set to 3, but if you had three, you would likely have a cluster by the time you straightened back out again. Can get pretty challenging in an area with a lot of traffic all doing the same thing. If you have one, a lead core setup down the chute with a dipsey either side is one of my favourite set ups; the bows have a habit of hitting the core half way through the turn.

I have a down rigger as well Rick,the thought was to have the #1's to either side far out and than run my#0straight down the back.If that sounds like a not so good idea,I could just run the rigger then.Thanks for the help!

one tip i got from a charter captain, was to tilt your rods so that the tips are almost or in the water when making a turn, my guess is that it makes the dipsy run truer.

also, im curious as to why some one would say you need a big boat to run dipsy's? i know people that run them off an 8ft zodiak, if its leader length, thats a non issue, you have a 7-9ft rod, lift it up a tad, shortens the leader length to 7ft or less, take a step back, or have the net person at the back of the boat, and the leader length is a non issue.

Edited by FloatnFly

I have a down rigger as well Rick,the thought was to have the #1's to either side far out and than run my#0straight down the back.If that sounds like a not so good idea,I could just run the rigger then.Thanks for the help!

Run the dipys out the side then a rigger. If I could I'd run riggers over dipsys any chance I got. I like them, but depth control with riggers is so much easier, plus you can always run a cheater (Which you obviously can't on a dipsy)

Riggers rather than dipsy's X2 here Bill. Planner boards over Dipsy's any day for me. I have never had anything good happen with #1's. If not set up it's like reeling in a fridge from 200 yards out. I gave my 1's away. I would love to just be able to run a Dipsy lately. Winds here on Erie have been in the high 20's to 50 KPH for the last 3 weeks. Fishing the Grand for 2 pound Pics isn't going to cut it when limits of 8 pound eaters were not uncommon up to 3 weeks ago. Talk about spoiled.