Boat Planing Problem

nancur373

Had an F20 Yamaha on a 14' tinny. Standard factory supplied prop. I cut a piece of 2X2 the width of the mounting bracket. Placed it under the bracket. This raised the anti cavitation plate so that it was even with the bottom of the boat.The less motor you have in the water the less resistance. Once you find your sweet spot, drill holes and bolt the motor to the transom. In the meantime make sure the thumb screws are good and tight and secure a safety chain.

Three adults and all of our gear it ran out at 17-18 mph. With that load I ran the tilt pin in the third hole up from the bottom. Otherwise, just like Drifter says, the boat is plowing. Solo with my gear I had to lower it to the second hole from the bottom, otherwise the boat would porpoise. I would also intentionally move as much weight forward as possible. This also assisted in preventing porpoising.

Ideally you want as much boat out of the water as possible.

Tilting the motor out and away from the transom forces the back end down and lifts the bow.

Experiment until you find the balance. Once you do I think you will be pleased.

Do you drill all the way through? And what type of bolt would you recommend? Would stainless cause corrosion in contact with aluminium?

Do you drill all the way through? And what type of bolt would you recommend? Would stainless cause corrosion in contact with aluminium?

Yes you drill all the way through and seal with Sikaflex or 3M 5200.

Go to your local dealer and purchase the mounting bolts, nuts and washers (they usually have them in a kit.

And yes they are stainless and no problems with corrosion.