Unusual Catch

This past June my sister finally went on her first fly-in fishing trip. We went to Kearns Lake outpost out of Thunder Bay which is run by Thousand Lakes Outposts out of Thunder Bay.

The trip was excellent. I went there in 2011 and we caught many,many large walleyes from 22 to 27 1/2 inches too many to count. We also caught a large number of pike up to 40 inches that trip.

This year the walleyes were not as large but much more plentiful, we caught many more between 17 to 20 inches than last year

Here is the story of the unusual catch. One night my sister and I were fishing in a shallow bay jigging for walleyes when she had a hit on a jig w/ 3 inch power bait tail on it. She set the hook and started reeling the fish in,immediately her rod bent over doubled into the water. Since we had been catching numerous large pike this trip while fishing for walleyes we figured that she had hooked a large pike. She kept on reeling and a walleye of about 17 inches poked its head out of the water hooked in the upper lip. As the head of the walleye came out of the water a large very long brownish thing was coming out of the water hooked to the lower jaw teeth of the walleye. My sister swung the fish over to me and I grabbed the brownish object. This brownish object was very heavy and completely full of mud, muck and water. I then dipped the object up and down in the water getting rid of most of the mud and muck. I then wrung out most of the water and brought it into the boat. Then laying the object in the bottom of the boat we saw that it was a large hooded sweatshirt

We took the sweatshirt back to camp and the next day layed it out on the deck to let the sun dry it out

When we came back later it was dryed out and we could just faintly see a logo on it. On the front of it was in large letters PACKERS, below was a large GB and below that in large letters GREEN BAY

Since our other four friends on this trip were Pittsburgh Steeler fans, and I'm a big Chicago Bears fan, it was only logical that my sister who is a Packer fan and lives in Wisconsin should be the person to catch this sweatshirt

Also in honor of catching this unusual sweatshirt we have named the bay where it was caught SweatShirt bay

On the Friday before we were flown into the lake I had the pleasure to meet Mike Borger and his family in the restaurant of the Valhalla Inn in Thunder Bay.

Funny how we all rename places that we fish at. On Lake Nippissing my brother and I can say our name on where we caught a fish and when we try to tell the other we can never seem to tell them where it really is. My favorite word in a name seems to be trench since all of the places up North seem to be deep channels.

Art