Spinning reel line twist

captpierre

So Guys. Help me out.

Am I right that everytime you reel in with a spinning reel you impart a slow twist to the line?

I'm guessing that when you cast, that twist doesn't unwind.

So why is it that after many days of hundreds of casts, I don't get a significant line twist.

Mind you I've only used braid for years. Must be worse for mono or fluoro.

So what gives?

Edited by captpierre

You just answered your own question. Braid does twist, but it doesn't have the memory like flouro/mono does. You can also very easily 'untwist' the last 15ft of line or su by pinching it with your fingernails.

Edited by BillM

^^^ yep .. Bill & Mike ...

Happens all the time with a jig/minnow if it isn't on the right way .. from shore I choose a BIG jig , intentionally snag it and break it off , reel in while pinching the line , from a boat , I let out the bare line and troll it for a few minutes , reel up , all twists are gone. .( Trilene XT Mono )

There is also a product called "The Spin Doctor" by Gardner Tackle. I ordered a few online as I've never seen them in tackle shops. Anyhoo, it's a lead weight which you cast out and it spins the other way as you reel it back in and it untwists your line. Very useful in a tackle box.

I usually walk off most of the line on my spinning reels and then reel it all back on with nothing on the end using my thumb and forefinger to put some pressure on the line... :canadian: :canadian: