Braided Lines

Mattitude

I'm starting to get a little sick of the frays I'm getting on my current mono (Vanish Transition) 10 lb, so I am thinking of switching to a braid 10 to 12 lb. Would this put an end to the frays and does it have any other benefits. I'm a little concerned about the visibility of it but I will make the switch if it's not that much of an issue. Oh yeah I'm mostly targeting Bass (in season of course). Thanks.

Matt I have been a Mono guy most of my fishing life I used braid last weekend on my BOQ long weekend 30lb braid 9lb diameter I used Stren Super Braid no more twists and tangles.I now prefer braid.Alot of the guys on this board swear by power pro which I can't find here in Quebec.

Beleive me I can get used to braid.Give it a try.I caught a 30 inch pike with the braid he took my Rapala very deep no leader if I had of had mono the pike's teeth would have cut the mono I was surprised to see the braid frayed but still in good shape never lost the fish .

Don't worry about visibility fish will bite on it anyway.If they are hungry they will hit your lure anyway.

Give it a try .MTP

Edited by Mike the Pike

hey mattitude,

good advice by mtp, the only thing I will add is about the pound test. too many people get hung up on 30lb, 50lb etc. being overkill. just because the line can handle that much pull strength doesn't mean you will set your drag that tight. my best advice is to match the diameter of the braid you plan to use to the diameter of the mono you are used to using. 10lb mono = 30lb braid (approx. depending on brand of braid mono). bass won't care about whether they can see the line or not. if it's a confidence thing for you, then use a 12"+ fluorocarbon leader but it is really unneccessary. the upside is you will feel everything and straighten hooks before you lose lures to snags.

like anything, braid has a time and place. there are instances where i prefer mono (ie. ice fishing) but for bass fishing, i think you will love it.

Thanks alot for all the information guys, much appreciated. I'm gonna give it a try. I'm so sick of the fraying. I hate that sound when you're reeling in and can hear the frayed line against the eyelets I start wondering if I'm gonna lose the next catch. I'll let you all know how it works out.

Reason for the fraying? Carefully inspect your rod guides, I have seen them with small cracks or chips. You can do it with a q-tip it will snag on a crack or chip.

Water you are fishing? zebra mussels? they can play heck with the line. A lot of my fishing was on Lake Erie and it`s tribs, lots of zebra mussels, line needed constant attention and monitoring. Even with heavier pound test mono cuts could be felt. It doesn`t take much of a nick in the line to seriously weaken it.

Down here zebra mussels have spread, they are in most of the waters now, even ones without an easy connection to the Great Lakes.

I used 10# test for bass at times, sometimes even 8#, but was a lot more comfortable with 17#. The only braid I gave a serious try was the old spider wire, didn`t like it, it may have improved over the years.