Charging a starting and deep cycle battery at the same time?

davey buoy

Trying to google that question and it's all over the place.So V8 with alternator,battery switch as well.When I usually head out I have the switch on both.When I use the trolling motor,I run that off line as not to depleat my starting battery.Sometimes I forget to put the switch back on both on the way home.So if I use my intellegent charger,can I just leave it in "both" for the week to make sure everything is topped up by the weekend?.Thanks.

Or is this what the bank chargers are all about?Just thinking if one would do for two?

Dave

Edited by davey buoy

With a 12 volt charger, You could charge 2 batteries if they are hooked up in parallel ( 12 volts )

However, it may take a long time to charge both batteries at the same time depending on the charging rate,

Ideally you want to charge your deep cycle battery rapidly to about 85% and then drop it to a trickle charge.

IMO it is best to charge them individually because usually a deep cycle and a cranking battery are not same size & capacity.

With a 12 volt charger, You could charge 2 batteries if they are hooked up in parallel ( 12 volts )

However, it may take a long time to charge both batteries at the same time depending on the charging rate,

Ideally you want to charge your deep cycle battery rapidly to about 85% and then drop it to a trickle charge.

IMO it is best to charge them individually because usually a deep cycle and a cranking battery are not same size & capacity.

Thanks,They are different,800 starting,1000 deep cycle.While travelling on the water as I do run some distance,charging both with the alternater should it be ok?That is my question now.Individually at home is no problem.Would be nice to recharge the trolling motor by the time we get to our next destination.

I would charge the deep cycle separately. Let the alternator charge your starting battery only.

A deep cycle battery performs and lasts longest if you run it down 1/2 way then charge fully. If you run it down a little, then charge quick with the alternator, it wont last as long, and couldd even boil the battery or warp the plates.

Deep cycles and starting batts are two different animals.

After a day of fishing, charge the deepcycle with the intellegent charger. It should charge it most of the way on a higher amp setting, then trickle charge the last bit.

S.

Thanks,They are different,800 starting,1000 deep cycle.While travelling on the water as I do run some distance,charging both with the alternater should it be ok?That is my question now.Individually at home is no problem.Would be nice to recharge the trolling motor by the time we get to our next destination.

Charging both batteries (as long as they are hooked up parallel) with Alternator will probably not harm anything, but it is not much different than charging them both at home with one charger, both batteries are probably different size and age/condition,

I would let the main motor charge my cranking battery and charge my deep cycle at home with a god automatic charger.

A properly working automatic charger should never "boil" or over charge the battery, even if you hook it up to a 100% fully charged battery, that is why an automatic/smart charger is supposed to be left hooked up to the bettery during off season.