Two anglers found dead on lake near Montreal

darsky

It was rough out there yesterday. For these 2 guys I guess the lure of catching fish on opening w/e was too great. They ventured out in a canoe in 30-50 kph winds on a BIG pond. Common sense should have worked here. Sad for their families

Back in the late 70's---I was living in Black Lake, Sask. on a reserve near the NWT border---working for the HBC

anyway just after ice out the lake was calm---(Black lake---big body of water---good trout and grayling fishing)---so another clerk and I grabbed the store canoe and went for a tour

When we came back to shore---a town elder came over and advised us against doing that too often---citing the cold water if you tip in---hard to survive

So he did his good deed---and I'm now paying it forward-----i've been in that temp water----limbs don't move too well

I chated with both these guys on Facebook and one of them on a regular basis....

Very sad to hear about this...

It's a story for everyone but more specifically the... Float tube... Kayak.. Canoe... And small boat guys out there...

Thoughts with their families

I was out just last weekend on my kayak for the kiwanis walleye world derby and yes the water was chilly.

I do most my fishing from it and always make sure the conditions are safe. I also know the size of this lake as I would always pass it going to visit family in Quebec. Still sad news and my thoughts will be with them and their families the next time on out on my kayak

Maybe there should be a specific thread for warning this---so people may take notice

All us old timers know this stuff already----and sometimes we think that for younger people--it should be common sense

Well, we also know common sense is not always that common

I've seen smart younger people miss what I think is obvious----so I don't say anything---learned I need to

Very tragic and unfortunately preventable. I feel for the families of the fishermen.

While hypothermia is the usual killer, I also understand that sudden exposure to extremely cold water can cause heart attacks or cause gasping leading to involuntary intake of water=drowning. Dressed properly, cold water doesn't always kill. Stay safe while fishing in this late spring.