1994 F150 (NF)

jil101ca

Mark went up to his buddy's camp for the weekend near KirkLand Lake. When they got there they loaded up the old truck (not mine) but it won't stay running. It will run good as long as the key is in the start position but as soon as it is let go of and the key comes back into the run position, the truck stalls.He has confirmed there is good gas flow to the engine The buddy is stumped on this one. I've gone through hundreds of F150 sites to try and find something even remotely similar but to no avail. Anybody have any ideas? any help is appreciated

Not real familier with Ford products, but ignitions switch assemblies can go bad. The one on my wife`s Chevy Astro went last year, the lock on the steering column is basically a lock that moves a lever under or thru the steering column. They had to drop the column to replace it.

They are about 150 miles away from a dealer back in the bush. They can get to a wrecking yard to get whatever parts they need in the morning. I suggested taking the truck with them and leaving it there :D I also suggested that maybe the drive into the camp on the rough road maybe jiggled a wire loose somewhere. The truck was ok up to that point.

Call Benson's auto parts in Kirkland They're good there too.. they'll deliver the parts right to their doorstep.. even in the bush. problem is probably the lock cylinder & key assy. on the column.

or a remote possibility of it being the fender mounted solenoid .

maybe even a ignition module.

if you get the truck back to town come seee me on monday at the store in Sturgeon.

Good Luck.

p.s the Walleye are biting on rapalas by the dams after dark

Sounds like the bouncin around on the trip there may have dislodged some dirt in the fuel system, causing the injectors to foul. (flooded condition) Leave it sit a few hours & try starting again OR just go fishin & don't stop fishin until the truck is totally rusted away.

There is a corroded or broken wire that powers up the ignition system. If you can run a power lead off the battery to the hot side of the ignition coil,fuse it if you can. this will get the truck going until it can be repaired.

It usually is a corroded wire near the eec-iv power relay. Fixed this problem a few times over the years.

NOTE...the truck will not shut off until you disconnect the jumper wire.

The reason it quits after cranking is the system powers up the coil directly off the ignition switch when cranking to deliver straight battery voltage. during normal running voltage is reduced to the coil to prevent coil burnout.

Edited by Nipissing

Thanks guys for the responses, it must of been the ford troll at work. The old truck started fine but I'm still going to let Mark's buddy know what you said as this was a warning of things to break really soon. They can get home tommorow although I do like having Mark way up there in the bush :whistling:

PS: Corn Nug, this isn't my truck, I own a Chevy 1 ton :thumbsup_anim: