Night Carp Report - May 24th

ccmtcanada

Well, bly and I decided to head out tonight...a spot we go to houses both Carp and Pike. I decided I'd try for Carp....bly for Pike. I set up my rod with my slip sinker, hair rig, a vanilla boilie and some Berkley Power Bait around the hook shank. I cast to an area I know they like to hang out and waited....and waited....and waited....and waited. Nothing...nada...not even a bump. I also know there are LOTS of bullhead in the area, so I decided to put a live worm on the hook itself (along with the boilie and Power Bait)...I figure I may as well not get skunked and catch one of those slimy things.

I cast back to the same area and 2 minutes later, I feel the tug-tug of a bullhead, so I set the hook. I was thinking...wow....this is a HUGE Bullhead LOL....only to realize that I had a Carp on. After about 10 minutes I had the guy close enough to net. I'm sure the worm thing was a complete coincidence, but it was strange how it worked out. Here's a pic....he only measured 28.5"...didn't bother to weigh it...but it was probably 10 to 12 pounds at the most.

gallery_60_23_15019.jpg

Bly unfortunately didn't hook into a Pike...but on the upside, she's getting pretty good with the net....LOL :lol:

Edited by ccmtcanada

they seem to hit worms and a lot of other things early in the season.

i remember fishheadric got one on a fly last year and someone else hooked one with a spinnerbait (not snagged).

beautiful fish! :P (now i'm sure someone's gonna say something about that haha)

Edited by Victor

Successful outing Cliff...but can you get back to the Pretty fish please...... :D

LOL Wayne :D ...I am fishing for them for a few reasons....number one...no one on my team for the OFC tourney targets them, so I made a conscious effort to do so. Number two...the tribs are devoid of steelhead (or hard to locate and catch), number 3 the Walleye are not back yet close to shore where we have access to them and four....Pike dont hit all that great at night...although I dont know if I'd call a Pike "pretty". :whistling:

Sorry to hear about your camera!!! Guess you have to get film developed....man...that sounded strange.....

Welcome back Wayne!

WTG Cliff nice fish I have only ever caught them on a worm last 10 pounder was caught on a Lindy Rig with a juicy night crawler.Ya come to think of it we haven't seen Bly's face in a pic for a while now you just jinxed yourself.Maybe you'll be netting for her soon.

Nice carp there ugly but they give us a great battle.

WTG Cliff nice netting job BLY :whistling::lol:

MTP :clapping:

Good job! Nice fish. Thanks for sharing. Always look forward to seeing your reports - you never know what you will have caught this time!

Edited by OO7

Excellent report and pic Cliff!!!

Are you sure Bly isn't sandbagging on you just to make you feel good, I find that Ol' Yeller will sandbag on me when she gets too far ahead so I'll continue to take with me... :rolleyes:

IMO live worms are one of the BEST Carp baits there is.

Wow...I learn something new every day. I have been reading a lot about Carp fishing lately, and not a single article on Carp bait have they even mentioned using worms! I was just being funny putting a worm on the hook, some Powerbait on the hook shank and a boilie on the hair rig...LOL. I figured I'd put a buffet of food out there for them and see what tickled their fancy... :dunno::D

GCD - Now that I think of it, she may be sandbagging...I'll have to check her lures to see if there are even hooks on there!!!

MTP - Yep...probably did jinx myself by making that crack about bly getting good with the net...haha.

007 - Since I shore fish, I tend to target whatever is in the area at the time...I dont have the luxury to go and find a preferred species! It is rewarding though...going out and targeting them and catching a few!

I remember getting a Carp last year on a worm in a lake Erie tributary. We were targetting Channel Catfish and the same thought went through my head -- this has got to be a huge Cat! :lol:

Turned out to be a 15lb Carp!

I think Worms work very well for Carp in the spring, but stick to using them only at night as most of the other panfish, aside from rockbass, will be somewhat sleepy :)

Tony

So when do you sleep??? lol

Nice night time fish CCMT and me thinks you may have stumbled upon an underused carp presentation.

LOL...when we fish during the week it's only for a few hours. We put our little one to bed at 8pm, and our 15 year old babysits. We then go out til about 10pm...back at home by 1020 and in bed by 11. I have to get up at 530 for work during the week....haha.