While the ice is still melting... Lake Fork (Report)

mattaw

While my lake is still ice locked and the temperatures are slowly but surely rising at home, I managed to sneak away for a day of fishing while in Texas for work this week. We fished Lake Fork, and what a day (and what an amazing fishery). I missed bass fishing, and in Texas, the season is never closed. We were at the launch by about 6:30, on the water at 7 and had a great day. The day started out cold (for Texas) at about 5 degrees but warmed up to the mid 20s. Caught about 25 fish (all bass, besides one pesky little catfish). Our largest fish as a group was a giant weighing in 8 pounds 2 ounces. My new PB largemouth caught today weighted in at 7 pounds 2 ounces. The average fish was about 4 pounds. I guess everything IS bigger in texas. Without further ado, some pictures for you guys:

Getting ready to launch

BLS0xbg.jpg

A tough day at the office:

MDV0O0Q.jpg

nBC76Km.jpg

0rIown0.jpg

My new PB Largemouth:

O4U9nRQ.jpg

ISFBPkJ.jpg

Biggest fish of the trip (And the second fish caught in the day):

uQcxS7v.jpg

Other bass throughout the day:

0sxlvUR.jpg

QWmbBtR.jpg

HE8vGSb.jpgdXa8HS0.jpg

CFxIvYS.jpg

4uQzGLN.jpg

qhPry2U.jpg

It was a great trip. Hopefully you guys enjoyed my report. Open water season is coming up, I couldn't be more excited to be able to start fishing in the boat at home again!

Edited by mattaw

We threw a huge variety of things, a fair number were caught on shiner-eqsue baits, I don't know the exact name of the strain of baitfish (I typically don't like to use live bait when I'm at my home lake, but when you only have one day to fish a body of water, I followed the expert's reccomendation). We threw a huge range of things, from shakey heads to squarebills to spinner baits to pitching soft plastics. The fish were really scattered around. There is a TON of submerged timber in the lake (it is originally man made), so you have to hunt around quickly flipping from spot to spot to find out where the fish are hiding and find the ones willing to cooperate (there is a crazy amount of pressure on the fish due to how popular the lake is, so you have to figure out what they want on that day apparently).

Edited by mattaw

Great fish you got there! Mind if I ask what rod you're using in the second pic?

It wasn't my rod, so I don't know the exact model. It was an older Carrot Sticks. I'm sorry I can't be more helpful than that