Introduction & Help with West Nipissing

Briant

Hello to all and let me introduce myself. My name is Brian and I'm originally from Pittsburgh but have been living in NYC for the past 8 years. My favorite species to target are Muskies and I've been fishing for them for roughly 5 years now. I am a member of Muskies INC and my local chapter is NJ22 and I only practice catch and release.

I am heading up to Nipissing with my grandfather, two uncles, and a few other fishing buddies. This will be our second trip to Nipissing in four years and we are really looking forward to it. Last time was in 08 and we stayed at Sandy Heaven camp at the mouth of the French. This time we decided to switch it up and stay on the West end. Actually the NorthWest Bay and we are staying at West Nipissing Resort.

We are going the 4th week in July and I plan to target Muskies both casting and trolling. I am seeking some advice as to where to begin my search for active fish that time of the year. Is the casting or trolling bite more productive? Is trolling the main lake that time of year worth my time? Any tips or info would be greatly appreciated. The West Branch is like a maze of islands and bays and from what I understand, you really have to work for these fish which is not a problem. I will have my boat up there and it's powered nicely so getting around will not be an issue. Thank you all in advance and I'm looking forward to bagging my first Canadian Muskie!

-Brian

Welcome Brian and you've picked a beautiful part of Ontario for your vacation.

I've never fished Northwest Bay but have been fishing muskies in West Bay...a few miles south of you...for the last 10 years and I'd assume it's somewhat similar. Personally, I like to cast but alot of the guys are trollers and also do well, so you should spend time both ways and see what works best for you.

In my own personal experience, I've had the best luck casting large bucks & spinners in open water well away from any structure....strange as that seems. The cabbage weed will be in full bloom by the time you arrive and that's where you'll find the fish, usually. I see most fish in the 8-9 foot depths and usually their up near the surface and often hit the bait as soon as it lands.

Be sure to figure 8 after EVERY cast too and that'll definitely put a couple more fish in your boats.

My #1 bait is a very large black & orange spinnerbait but usually anything big & bright will work.

You won't get big numbers of fish up there but the ones you catch will normally be good ones at least in the high 40's or low 50's with excellent chances of much bigger.

The musky in my avatar came from there and is an average size.

I'll be up there the last week of June and again the 1st two weeks of August and will probably be driving past West Nipissing Resort the morning you guys are leaving for home.

Good luck and have a great vacation, and if you get into a good fish, please show us a picture.

Edited by lew

Welcome Brian. Good to see another native Pennsylvanian on here. To bad you had to move :-). I live about 100 miles east of Pittsburgh. Lew and I, and some others, will be battling for the Muskies this August up there. I've been fishing he west bay of Nip going on 7 years now. Like Lew, I primarily cast into the weed pockets. I rarely troll up there - rare occasions when I get tired casting and don't want to head back in just yet. My number one bait are the double cowgirls - black skirt and either silver or copper blades. I throw that one lure 90+ percent of the time and they have been producing. Do a search on this site for Lakair. (Lodge on the west arm right on on Rt 64). You should find a number of fishing reports from that area. I primarily fish out in the west bay - so it may be similar to where you will be. All the reports and pics should get you anxious to go

We want to see your big fish picture when you get back. !!!!!!!!!!

Best of luck

Welcome as well but do not take any muskie advise from me. I have so far been able to put the skunk on both Lew and Richard lol. I am thinking about letting them off the hook and this year not cutting the hooks off my baits before I use them.

Art

Thanks for the warm welcomes fellas. Richard - funny, I never got into the Muskie fishing until after I moved to NY (go figure) I grew up fishing western PA waters but always targeted bass, walleye, and catfish. Now I do all of my local Muskie fishing in NJ. I sure hope to post some pics when I return and I want to thank you all for your advice. Definitely picking up bits and pieces from multiple sources is a good way to put together a solid attack plan. I'm going to hit it hard when I get up there!