Smoking salmon

Jen

This is the first time I have tried this so I have included pictures,

If anyone is still up, can you tell me how I am going to know when the salmon is done. Or do I just let it sit in there till it cools?

Trial and error it seems!

SalmonMay2407wsonny006.jpgSalmonMay2407wsonny005-1.jpg

SalmonMay2407wsonny003.jpgSalmonMay2407wsonny004.jpg

Been keeping the temp in the middle zone on the gauge, which says ideal.

Thanks in advance if anyone has any advice.

Thanks Jen

Jen, see the colour change on some of the pieces.. going to an orangy/brown..that's what it should look like all over. The little whitish blobs are just moisture that has to be evaporated. Once it gets to the right "doneness", you can try brushing a wee bit of real maple syrup on it. Looks tasty already.

Edited by Fisherman

Jen

Those pieces of salmon are starting to look good.

If you have an instant read thermometer, check the internal temp at the biggest point. Temp should be about 155-160degrees F.

The internal temp of your smoker should bee about 200-225 degrees F at the dome, and you can control this by opening and closing the bottom vents. The top vent should be opened full all the time. More air flow= hotter temps, less air flow=lower temps.

Once you are satisfied that your salmon is to your desired doneness, take from the smoker and refrigerate. Once the salmon has cooled then you will be good to sample. Tasting right off the smoker, the fish will be a little soft or mushy.

Here is a link that I have used when I was starting to smoke salmon http://www.salmonuniversity.com/rs_htss01_index.html

If I can help any further, drop me a PM

Good luck

John