Fishing the rivers for Pickerel from a noob perpective

wask

Hey guys, been doing some fishing on the Otonobee in the Peterborough area, but havent' had much luck.

Threw minnows and jigs all weekend and didnt come up with any pickerel.

I grew up in the south, so bass fishing in my forte, but I would like to figure pickerel out.

What are some tips to catch them? Will I catch them inthe river from the bank away from the locks/ dams or is that were they all are right now?

What are the best rigs to use and where do the pickerel normally stay, in the fast water, where the fast water peters out, still water?

Thanks for the info in advance!

Wask

Wish I knew. Good questions, I just moved to Peterborough myself and have been wondering similar things. I've seen Carp and Rockbass in the Otonabee just North of parkhill but have no idea what else might be in there. The water level looks really low today too. I'd love to catch some walleye too but might just content myself with chasing after carp as I know they are in there.

Good links, thanks!

I think my presentation is just screwed up. I need to change the angle Im fishing from and cast up stream instead of just letting the bait fall into the current and carry it away... does that sound right?

Where on the "O" are you fishing?

North of Parkhill, up to the A&W dam = carp, rock bass and some smallies.

Usually below the dam at lock 19 for walleye, evening is the best bite. If the dam is flowing fast - tough fishing from shore, your bait will never get down and when it does - snag city.

From a boat - try weed in 10-12 fow in the a.m. and p.m. During the day I have never, ever caught a walleye on the river. From what I have been hearing, the bite is so far off in the Kawarthas right now, may as well wait for bass season and concentrate on crappies in the meantime, they are better eating (IMO) and more importantly, more abundant than walleye now.

where do the walleye spawn? do they spawn in the otonabee?

I dont knwo that system that well so maybe someone else can jump in.

Also i have found that after they spawn they head for deeper water. Is it possible that they spawned early. Feed then headed for deeper water?

Just a few things to look for.

CHeers!