new guy

NewHips

Hello, everyone...............I've been a visitor on this forum for the last few years. Had trouble with creating a new account, so I gave up. I've been on Ontario fishing trips for the past 25-30 years. I know a few of you from other walleye forums, great source of information. This year my son and I are booked for Taltson Bay Big Pike lodge in the Northwest Territories. Anyone ever been there? Looking forward to sharing fishing knowledge and experiences with everyone :good:

Great to be here.......................New Hips

Welcome!

I see you are from Tennessee!

Are you mostly pike, walleye, lake trout interested?

I have not fished there, but Drifter_016 lives and used to guide up there. I'm sure he could offer some great info. Dave is very knowledgeable about what works on those species.(as well as many others)

Can't help but inquire about your username!

Are they working well?

Edited by floatman55

Welcome! Nice to see you on this site now.

You'll love Taltson Bay, it's been on my personal bucket list for years.

As far as Dave helping I've been prodding him for a couple years now to take us in his boat along with some camping gear over to that Taltson Bay area. He's afraid of the boat ride though and won't do it. :whistling:

Welcome!

I see you are from Tennessee!

Are you mostly pike, walleye, lake trout interested?

I have not fished there, but Drifter_016 lives and used to guide up there. I'm sure he could offer some great info. Dave is very knowledgeable about what works on those species.(as well as many others)

Can't help but inquire about your username!

Are they working well?

Well, I have a 15,000 acre Lake Louden about 1/4 mile from my house.Open water year round..... Mostly Bass, crappie and catfish....We have stripers in the system but really haven't fished for them....got one by accident last year . It's not bad....but not up to Ontario standards.

I had my first Hip replaced in 2005 and the second one 3 months later. No problems with either one, all you need is a good surgeon. i could use Dave's advice on getting bigger bass.......so far my biggest is 16in. pretty pathetic !!!!!!!!! I head to Ontario when I want get that walleye & pike itch.

Although Dave can certainly catch bass,(or anything that swims, I'm sure), I have fished with him in Alaska for Rainbows, Dolly Varden, Pinks, and Coho. I never caught a Coho, although I ate a part of one he caught....lol (delicious)

He resides in Yellowknife, and will soon have a camp on the lake.

I invite you to make contact with him before you head up there, as he can give you an idea of what baits to get before you leave. Certainly cheaper online than when you arrive.

best of luck.

Bill

Welcome! Nice to see you on this site now.

You'll love Taltson Bay, it's been on my personal bucket list for years.

As far as Dave helping I've been prodding him for a couple years now to take us in his boat along with some camping gear over to that Taltson Bay area. He's afraid of the boat ride though and won't do it. :whistling:

Great to be here, Mike...........thanks to your input for Eddie North, I put a 43in in the boat, my PB. We'll be flying into Yellowknife August 28th and fishing Taltson Bay that week. It was also on my bucket list. I'm already stocking up on Bulldawgs and really excited about the new Savage Gear lures I just ordered. I don't think I'd take my boat across Great Slave lake either !!!!!!!! Taking my Go Pro camera and a full report when I get back.

Great to be here, Mike...........thanks to your input for Eddie North, I put a 43in in the boat, my PB. We'll be flying into Yellowknife August 28th and fishing Taltson Bay that week. It was also on my bucket list. I'm already stocking up on Bulldawgs and really excited about the new Savage Gear lures I just ordered. I don't think I'd take my boat across Great Slave lake either !!!!!!!! Taking my Go Pro camera and a full report when I get back.

Always happy to help bud.

From what I understand Taltson is unique in that much of the water you'll be fishing is vast wide open weed flats, more or less casting blindly. Giant fish prowl those flats....there "may" be no better place in the world currently for trophy pike.

Bulldogs are a favorite up there I know. FWIW last Sept while at Windsor lake my buddy and I had 6 Bulldogs bitten completely in half by large pike LOL! It was just the way they attacked those things.

I ended up catching a number of large pike on a bright orange 8" twister tail and almost every one was hooked in the corner of the mouth unlike the Bulldogs which they destroyed.

If I were you I'd stock up on bucktails and spinnerbaits as well.

Cheers